ESK Upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

utlchris

Sorry if this has been answered but I did a search on ESK and could not find anything.

I was wondering if there might be an upgrade in the near future (month or so) to allow the 396 to follow an ESK system.

I live in the Denver area and 3 good size departments already are running on ESK and Denver will be after the 4th of July weekend.

I sure would like to see an upgrade soon or it might be time to visit E-Bay :D

Thanks in advance!

Scan-Denver

Utlchris is more interested in an upgrade to the 396, I don't believe he wants to be tied down at home to be able to listen to the systems that have enabled ESK. GRE made it possible to track ESK systems on their scanners, I'm sure Uniden can do the same!

So come one Uniden, step up to the plate!!

utlchris

Yes that was the answer I was looking for. Was aware of the hacks you can do to the radio but really wanted Uniden to step up to the plate and join their competitor.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
Yes that was the answer I was looking for. Was aware of the hacks you can do to the radio but really wanted Uniden to step up to the plate and join their competitor.

And I'll second that....add the capability to the 396T via firmware, even if it's a for-pay update, I'd be quite willing to pay for it.

rckydenver

And I'll second that....add the capability to the 396T via firmware, even if it's a for-pay update, I'd be quite willing to pay for it.

I'll third it. I would be willing to pay.. $5.00 or $10. I sure they would have to test it first...But would like to see in firmware as well. Thanks Uniden..if you are reading this. Quite a few folks here in Colorado have this scanner the 396t and the 996. ESK is being used.

af5rn

LOL @ $5.00 or $10

Wow, Uniden stands to make HUNDREDS of dollars at that rate! That should be all the encouragement they need to spend hundreds of thousands on R&D to get it done. :lol:

ch40n1k

LOL @ $5.00 or $10

Wow, Uniden stands to make HUNDREDS of dollars at that rate! That should be all the encouragement they need to spend hundreds of thousands on R&D to get it done. :lol:

Hundreds of thousands of dollars ... gimme a break lol ... If they need an ESK technical reference, maybe they should read the wiki, or better yet, call someone at GRE

Uniden needs to "Man up and give us ESK support" ...

Last edited:

rckydenver

LOL @ $5.00 or $10

Well of course you can pay another $500. When they release there next digital radio and if it has that feature for it..

Scan-Denver

You misunderstood. It has nothing to do with ProVoice.
Not only that, but most people don't want their scanner to be tied down to their computer in order to listen to it (especially if it is a hand held unit). And unless I'm mistaken, there isn't anyone here in Colorado that has mentioned if it works and if so, what scanners they use, what kind of computer, what operating system is used, etc, etc.

Finding someone with the time to install a discriminator tap, build or buy a data slicer and fine tuning it to your scanner, and then of course showing you how to work it is not as easy as it might seem.

Having a scanner that is capable of receiving/scanning Edacs (ESK) analog systems all by itself to me seems like the better option all the way around.

Last edited:

ch40n1k

The PSR500/600 does.

Those of us in Colorado that monitor the aforementioned systems are well aware of this fact. Some of us have purchased the 500 and/or 600. Not all of us can afford the upgrade. Regardless, no one wants to start using their 396/996 as a paperweight. With two of the larger metro EDACS systems going ESK, this is exactly what is going to happen unless an update is released that addresses the problem.

Last edited:

Scan-Denver

Those of us in Colorado that monitor the aforementioned systems are well aware of this fact. Some of us have purchased the 500 and/or 600. Regardless, this doesn't mean that I want to start using my 396 as a paperweight.
I'm sure you don't want to hack into it installing a discriminator tap either !

bayrisch

Upgrade/New Scanner

Has anybody attempted to contact Uniden regarding an upgrade which would handle ESK? I sent them an e-mail a few days ago and have heard nothing.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.