Ever call one in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
Years ago I was at home and heard my Name and DOB go over the NCIC and I listen than found out my crack head step cousin used my name but had my middle name wrong so I called the Non Emergency Number told them what I heard dispatcher ask for my number and where it happen I gave her the info 5 mints later the officer called me and I told him what happen he said yea we figure it wasn't his real name so I had called in a few things and non of them thank me expect for 1.

SCPD

QRT
And that's the big problem. Most departments would fall into the first sentence, but the few that fall into the second make you want to stop calling, even if you see something directly.
Sorry, but no. If you witness a crime, as in see something directly, you call. Period. You don't call up and speak to the call taker in radio lingo, but you do call, regardless of your perception of the department.

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
I once called the FAA to report a whooper on 121.50. It apparently was coming from a plane in motion. I told them what time I heard it the loudest, and my location. They seemed to be grateful for the info. I think they were already aware of the situation before I called, so I was just adding some supplemental info.

I also called the US Coast Guard in Boston once. I think that someone was horsing around on Marine Ch 16 near me. I remember they asked me if I had any DF equipment, but I didnt. He seemed to be appreciative of the call also.

Recently I heard Boston Fire trying to find a ride for a disabled person. The dispatcher said he couldnt get in touch with the paratransit service. I called up the paratransit service directly, told the dispatcher the story, and she said she would call Boston Fire. About 10 minutes Boston Fire Alarm was telling Ladder 26 that a van would arrive in 10 minutes. By that time the party was already on his way.

A long, long time ago - when I was young and much much more foolish, I called Boston CMED and told them they had a gunshot wound victim going to Mass General Hospital. The ambulance, which I think was coming from Revere or Everett, was trying to hail Boston CMED on 155.28 or 155.34 or 155.16 - ancient history here - maybe the 1970s.

I try to keep in mind that jumping into a high stress situation when you have the slimmest of info to contribute can be a dicey proposition. Sometimes it is the right thing to do. Maybe sometimes it is not. If you start off by giving your full name, and telling them that you are listening on a scanner, they might appreciate the honesty up front - and make a quick judgement of the value of your info.

Another one came to mind - no two of them - there was the time that BFD had 2 repeaters up and running on Channel 2 - I called BFD Fire Alarm and told them about it - they seemed to be thankful for the call but wanted to know who I was IIRC - I just told them I had been listening to them for 20 years. Now I remember - one of the companys had forgot to turn off a inhouse repeater at a call they had been to previously in some highrise or large bld.

And the time the Newton cop missed the call for the needle on the sidewalk. First thing the Newton dispatcher said to me - "Did you put it there?" - I said "no" - he got over it real quick - and redispatched the call.

And the beat goes on.

W2PMX

Sorry, but no. If you witness a crime, as in see something directly, you call. Period. You don't call up and speak to the call taker in radio lingo, but you do call, regardless of your perception of the department.
*I* do - but that's because I spent years on the other end. (And I speak the same "lingo" I spoke when I worked for the department I worked for.) But I know many people who live in areas where an info call is treated as a bother, and they get to the point that they just don't want to bother any more.

I guess I've been lucky - where I live, where I work and where I visit, the police departments appreciate information, whether it comes from a cop in a marked car or some private party who knows something they want to know. I've never been given "the attitude" and, even if I were, I'll still call in something as non-criminal as a weaving vehicle. If they want to ignore the information I give them, that's their call. To expand on what you said, if you see something you think the police (or fire department or any other government agency) should know about, make the call. That's always been my viewpoint.

Tim-in-TX

Premium Subscriber
DPS Trooper Shot in Tyler Texas (2006...I think)

It does not mention it in this story, but these guys were caught because a scanner owner was listening to what was going on. He spotted the truck that matched the description and plates of the one that DPS was looking for, and called it in. Had he not done so, it might have taken a lot longer (if at all) to find the suspects.

Bottom line is, use your discretion. I would not flag one down as he/she might be going to another call, or racing to a scene. The sooner they get to where they are going, the better. I would call their dispatch and give them whatever info I have.

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
I forgot to mention the time that I reported a stuck mike on 462.975 or 462.95 to the FCC office in Boston. The FCC guy asked me for my scanner registration number. I said "I have never heard of that before". He then asked me where I was and how strong the signal was IIRC. Soon afterwards the stuck mike went away.

I figure if I go on just 1 more watch list I will probably win a free FBI toaster.

Gawd help me if I ever need to buy a plane ticket. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.