Experiences with Amazon

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotttish

About 50% of the time I have ordered a "new" Whistler scanners from Amazon, it has actually been used before. I believe that virtually everyone in the business does this. There's no excuse for it and it is done all of the time. Amazon is now charging state sales tax and has lost their competitive edge entirely, if you consider paying $99.00 a year for prime membership, then state sales tax on top of that. Ebay and many others do not charge sales tax OR have membership fees. I quit Amazon yesterday...

Last edited:

lolbananalol2

Premium Subscriber
About 50% of the time I have ordered a "new" Whistler scanners from Amazon, it has actually been used before. I believe that virtually everyone in the business does this. There's no excuse for it and it is done all of the time. Amazon is now charging state sales tax and has lost their competitive edge entirely, if you consider paying $99.00 a year for prime membership, then state sales tax on top of that. Ebay and many others do not charge sales tax OR have membership fees. I quit Amazon yesterday...

Hopefully I don't get a defective unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scotttish

Best wishes. I found many less expensive and newer units online with NO state sales tax. Amazon is really shooting themselves in the foot!

K9JLR

Best wishes. I found many less expensive and newer units online with NO state sales tax. Amazon is really shooting themselves in the foot!

It's like anything else, no retailer, even in e-commerce, has a monolithic, unilateral edge on always providing the lowest price. I've even found situations where brick and mortar stores had better deals than anything I could find online, even after paying sales tax.

The caveat with Amazon is that you don't always have to pay state sales tax, as it depends on the Vendor. I didn't pay any state sales tax on my TRX-2, although I did have to have the 536HP shipped to a friend just across the river in MO to avoid the tax (MO has since required Amazon to collect tax). A lot of times I cannot find the product, at least not brand new, for a competitive price on ebay. This is likely due to the fact that both ebay and Paypal take a cut of the seller's proceeds.

It's just always best to shop around. Where I've actually gotten the most bang for my buck on Amazon is from auto parts, BUT there are sometimes some really low prices on scanners. If you use https://camelcamelcamel.com/ you can enter the URL of the scanner from Amazon and it will show you the full price history and send notifications when the price drops below a desirable level for you. This is how I snagged the TRX-2 when it fell below $490 last week. Yes, Prime is probably NOT worth the expense if you are only ordering a few hundred dollars worth of merchandise per year.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
The caveat with Amazon is that you don't always have to pay state sales tax, as it depends on the Vendor.

Or the location. For example, as of March 1, all Amazon orders in Arkansas are automatically charged the state sales tax now.

K9JLR

Or the location. For example, as of March 1, all Amazon orders in Arkansas are automatically charged the state sales tax now.

Is your state making them collect on all orders delivered to an Arkansas address, or is it like Illinois, where we only pay state sales tax on orders that come directly from an Amazon warehouse (because they have locations in IL) or only on vendors with a physical location in the state of AR? As of right now, you can still avoid sales tax here in Illinois if it is a third-party seller that does not have a physical presence in IL, even if it is sold through Amazon's website. These states knew they were missing out on a large chunk of revenue, so I figured this wasn't going to last.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Is your state making them collect on all orders delivered to an Arkansas address, or is it like Illinois, where we only pay state sales tax on orders that come directly from an Amazon warehouse (because they have locations in IL) or only on vendors with a physical location in the state of AR? As of right now, you can still avoid sales tax here in Illinois if it is a third-party seller that does not have a physical presence in IL, even if it is sold through Amazon's website. These states knew they were missing out on a large chunk of revenue, so I figured this wasn't going to last.

My understanding is all Amazon orders are now taxed automatically.

Here's a short news piece on it: Amazon Begins Collecting Sales Tax In Arkansas | Fort Smith/Fayetteville News | 5newsonline KFSM 5NEWS

sprite1741

Another reason I am giving up on Amazon is their $50 minimum purchase for free shipping. I get better deals from Ebay now. Even when I had prime I never got an order in 2 days. It always took 3 to 4, that's why I gave up on it. When I order something with free shipping they hold the order a few days to make it take longer to encourage you to go Prime. Their CS agents have a script. If it's something out of the ordinary or not in their book they are quite unhelpful and arrogant. I get items from China cheaper and almost as fast. They had a mobile antenna I needed for my scanner. $15 on Amazon, $2 from China. the China package was free and took exactly 14 days and arrived perfect. Amazon would have been over $20 and I might have got it 5 days sooner. Bye Bye Amazon.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Well, I have Prime and am happy with it and, yes, I get 99% of my packages in 2 days. Even with them charging state tax now I'm not too upset about it. I use the Fire TV to watch Netflix and also the Prime video streaming, etc. Not trying to say Amazon is perfect but that it just varies by individual, what you want/need and what they offer. It's not a one size fits all thing, though they obviously try to cater to most (typical "good business").

kc2kth

Ordered my TRX-1 from Amazon as a "fulfilled by Amazon" item on Thursday, received it Friday. No issues here. It was new in box, although the ezscan software, CPU and DSP firmware were the original Whistler releases (as stated in Whistler's release notes) so it seems it may have sat on the shelf for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.