Expo Center DMR

16b

Premium Subscriber
It has been discussed in the past (see this thread) that the Expo Center/state fairgrounds replaced their LTR system with DMR a long time ago, but no details have surfaced. With an improved antenna setup at home, I have been able to monitor activity on one of the three repeaters they are licensed for. See below:

Frequency: 453.525
Color: 10
Slot 2, talkgroup 251 sounds like maintenance activity. Definitely fair related. Talking about gators, forklifts, electrical outlets not working, and mentioning locations at the fairgrounds.
Also heard some keyups on slot 1, talkgroup 250, but nothing identifiable.
FCC license: FCC Callsign WPTW863 (Ohio Expositions Commission)

Note that this is a conventional DMR system, not a Capacity Plus or other trunked system like you would expect given they previously had LTR. I have confirmed it is conventional to the best of my ability. DSDPlus does not report it as trunked, the traffic is always on slot 2, I hear full conversations, and most telling is the absence of the Capacity Plus rest channel "burp" that those systems put out every second or so.

I'm going to submit the above information, but my request is that anyone who lives closer to the fairgrounds (or is perhaps planning to attend the fair) please try to monitor the other frequencies listed on the license--453.250 and 453.600. I have been scanning them with DSDPlus for a couple of days but haven't heard any activity. It's possible that since this is a conventional system not all of the repeaters have the same coverage profile, and I may simply not be able to hear these other repeaters from my location way over on the west side. It's also possible that they're not used all, or not in use during the fair.

16b

Premium Subscriber
Last year they were using one of the sites-on-wheels so you had to be close to the fairgrounds to hear it.

wd8chl

State Fairgrounds, officially the Ohio Expositions Center….. as noted in the original post.
The OP didn't say anything about Columbus, or the state fair when it was originally posted.

16b

Premium Subscriber
I visited the fair today and noted some additional DMR activity:

453.250 CC12 S1 TG254 - only heard one transmission, not enough activity to identify
453.250 CC12 S2 TG255 - First Aid

I did not hear any activity on either timeslot of the 453.600 repeater. I've listened to a lot of DMR systems, and in my experience there's usually a logical pattern. Based on the pattern I'm seeing with what I've heard so far, I'd expect 453.600 to use color code 11 and to find talkgroups 252 and 253 on slots 1 and 2 respectively. I don't have any evidence, of course, I'm just speculating. Again, if anyone lives closer or is heading to the expo center/fairgrounds please have a listen.

As far as OSP, I believe they are using the 5A1 TOW this year. I didn't actually monitor them while at the fairgrounds, but I took my G5 up to the second floor of my house and it just barely locked onto the 5A1 control channel and picked up activity on XSCOMM talkgroups. Not that it matters too much now since the fair ends tomorrow, but just wanted to document it here for posterity/future reference.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
The OP didn't say anything about Columbus, or the state fair when it was originally posted.

No edits in the history. Current version is the original.

Reactions: 16b