External Antenna for ICOM IC-r75

Status
Not open for further replies.

XPS720

Premium Subscriber
HRD is a controller from the PC it has a scope and it was a great help for tonight's CQ Contest. If you know of another software that I can use to control this rig from PC let me know.

KM4OBL

Authorized Personnel
Why is it a person buys a decent radio and is reluctant to get a "decent" antenna along with it? There is not 1 antenna that is a do-it-all. Not one!
If all else fails get a PAR SWL end fed antenna. The wire antenna works great and does not have to be in a perfect line. Only 40 feet long. As for the AOR antenna, I am sorry you spent your hard earned $ on that. But we all learn. If all else fails go to library or even a ham shack and pick up ARRL books on antennas.

One reason might be that the individual has restricted space for putting up an antenna, indoors or outdoors, or restrictive covenants or other legal restrictions on maintaining antennas outdoors. I think many people buy high-performance receivers without realizing that their living arrangement does not lend itself to easily mounting an antenna outdoors that can bring out the qualities of the receiver. Even loops can be difficult with apartments - I tried one and it would not tune on my apartment balcony, due to all of the metal surrounding it. A forty foot long antenna is often impossible.

I live in an apartment that is enclosed in a RF-blocking shield of concrete and metal. I was transmitting on HF using digital modes and putting out an antenna on a tripod every time I wanted to have a session, due to a ham-unfriendly landlord. Adjusting the radials to provide acceptable SWR was physically difficult every time, and eventually I had to give up transmitting on HF due to arthritis problems making this too difficult. I'm now limited to receiving on HF with portables that I bring outdoors.

XPS720

Premium Subscriber
I noticed today that if I unscrew the PL-259 and only center connecter is in the 256, no outside screwed, the signal on the ICOM is very high. The problem is with high signal I hear nothing, it is only interference. I now screw on the PL-259 and that heavy signal drops down to nothing. If I put the preamp on 2 I hear all transmits very well. I just wonder if I am getting the highest signal. Have fun with that CQ contest going on, I am.

73's

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Don't go for the 'highest signal' - at times that's going to include a lot of noise, especially with verticals. Go for the best signal quality you can, not strength...Mike

XPS720

Premium Subscriber
Yes, as I did see this on 80 meters last night, as I can hear the far away signals very well. I wish I could tell some of those far away I heard them with 5 9.

Take care

Status
Not open for further replies.