External Speaker for Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

arnie920

I have a TRX1 scanner. What would be a good external speaker for this unit. I guess I want one that does not require power. I have no access to power for the speaker.

ILjim

10+ Years Listening
Premium Subscriber
I have a TRX1 scanner. What would be a good external speaker for this unit. I guess I want one that does not require power. I have no access to power for the speaker.
Have you tried using a Bluetooth speaker w/ aux input? I have one that I used on my phone and works great on my Uniden and GRE scanners. The only thing is that on some scanners, you might have to purchase a stereo to mono adapter to hear the audio. Internal battery on my speaker lasts about 4-5 hours before having to recharge.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
you might have to buy a speaker with some sort of amplification.
Most hand held scanners are designed to be used with headphones, not external speakers. The power requirements of both are very different.

arnie920

Have you tried using a Bluetooth speaker w/ aux input? I have one that I used on my phone and works great on my Uniden and GRE scanners. The only thing is that on some scanners, you might have to purchase a stereo to mono adapter to hear the audio. Internal battery on my speaker lasts about 4-5 hours before having to recharge.
Real good idea I had not thought of that.
Thank you

ILjim

10+ Years Listening
Premium Subscriber
Glad to help! You can find many of the speakers that I referenced online (eBay, Amazon, etc) and also in pretty much any store that has electronics and cell phone accessories. Also, I would limit the power output of the speaker you get to 3 watts. I tried a 10 watt speaker and it was too powerful to the point where it blocked all VHF transmissions from being heard.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

KE6HHM

Premium Subscriber
The external speaker l have for all my scanner is call SH2P4 it works great and loud too l bought them on Ebay over the years so ebay search bar type in SH2P4 or google External speaker SH2P4
Hope this info will help you out

Happy holidays and merry Christmas

frazpo

Premium Subscriber
Bluetooth speaker

+1 on the bluetooth speaker idea. I use one with my 436 and it sounds really good with digital audio. Get one with good base. It will sound awesome.

Swipesy

It comes up as three different versions.
One is a square cube and another one has more rounded corners and a third have a volume control on the front.

/Ubbe

And if you look at the reviews of this speaker on Eham Reviews you will see that you get what you pay for. It is not amplified for one and it gives so-so output. Running un-amplified speakers on these scanners will not give you much volume. You have to spend around $40.00 to get a decent amplified speaker.

Nasby

100% agree with needing an amplified speaker.
Even a $100 non-amplified Motorola speaker won't help much with these units.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Get one with good base. It will sound awesome.

Normally a speaker with good bass response is undesirable for voice, if clear intelligible speech is your goal. Typically one with a frequency response of 500Hz - 20kHz. A speaker with a low frequency response down around 20 - 40Hz might sound muddy.

frazpo

Premium Subscriber
Normally a speaker with good bass response is undesirable for voice, if clear intelligible speech is your goal. Typically one with a frequency response of 500Hz - 20kHz. A speaker with a low frequency response down around 20 - 40Hz might sound muddy.

Nah. Sounds good with a 436. Doubt your gonna get hip hop bass out of a 1 inch speaker. I can see where there could be too much. But not with these small Bluetooth speakers. The one I used sounded really good. Far better than the stock scanner speaker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KE6HHM

Premium Subscriber
external speaker

Your welcome feed back on external speakers happy new year

Swipesy

Well I got the speaker, it was delayed because of the holiday.
Well, the old saying: "You get What You Pay For"
Enough said.

It wasn't as if Nasby and I didn't warned you in posts 10 & 11. Not only you get what you pay for but also you can lead a horse to water but can't make him drink!

Nasby

I think the one he got is amplified. But just not good quality if I'm reading things correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.