Extricating Pro-106 from ballistic nylon case. . . tricks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

McMurtry

It's an odd predicament:

I purchased a heavy-duty nylon carry case for the Radio Shack Pro 106.
(Scanner Master website, "Pro106-RadioShack Nylon Case," product code: 01-581346)

This is a fine case, made of "ballistic nylon" or as the write-up says "Rugged Area 51 nylon." It's heavy-duty nylon on interior and exterior, with a layer of polyurethane foam laminated in the middle.

When I inserted the Pro-106 into the case, it was a snug fit. I recall I had to work to get the scanner back out of the case.

I inserted the scanner into the case about 9 months ago, and there it's sat. I attempted to remove the scanner, and it's as if the nylon case has grown around the scanner. It's like they're bonded together. Certainly the clear vinyl plastic had bonded securely to the smooth surface of the scanner's LCD display. I worked a business card down the front of the display to break the bond between those surfaces.

I've been attempting to place fingers around the top open end of the case, my thumbs pushing upward from the bottom of the case. I'm not budging the scanner. It does not want to come out of the scanner case.

Anyone have any suggestions? I hope I'm able to remove the scanner without scratching-up its case too much - but I'm starting to think I might need to take a box-cutter blade to the exterior corners of this case to get the scanner out. I hope I don't have to do that.

If I'm ever successful getting the scanner out of this case without ruining the nylon case, I believe I will lightly coat the interior of the case with baby powder before ever re-inserting the scanner.

Thanks in advance for your ideas.

Sportster77

Premium Subscriber
The nylon case I bought for my PSR 800 seems like it shrunk also. Lucky for me it was just sitting up on the dash of my truck w/o a radio in it, but when I did try to use it again , the only way to get the radio out was to seperate the battery cover from the radio as it was pulled out of the case.

Haley

McMurty, I could have written this post word for word. Same case, some problem, same time frame even (9 months in the case). I have to say, I was so worried I would break something on the case I vowed to never put it back in, if by some miracle I got it off (my wife heard compound words she didn't know existed). It took 2 hours of wiggling it from side to side, and finally the death grip of the case let go. The 106 has been naked ever since. Like you, my case went on snug also. I wonder if possibly it was a manufacturing flaw? Dimensions just a little off? I don't know, but sorry I don't have anything to add, other than you are not alone. If you figure out a good way to slip it off and on please post! Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.