• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

F221 "no answer from transceiver"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gruaaa

Premium Subscriber
I've got an IC-F221, OPC-1122 cable, CS-F100 v1.7 and CS-F100 ADJ v1.0 on Windows 10 64-bit desktop. I can't get either software to connect, I've tried/checked:

- pins on RJ45 and solder connections inside faceplate are ok
- radio powered by 12V 1.66A wall wart, then tried 12V 8Ah motorcycle battery
- Prolific drivers 3.2.0.0 which work with "all varieties" of PL2303, along with 3.3.2.102 and 3.8.1.3
- Kenwood plug USB programming cable that needs 3.2.0.0 drivers, works with my handhelds, rigged to a RJ45 connector on pins 2/7/8
- two different USB ports, also a Windows 10 64-bit laptop on battery
- port set to 9600 8n1 but also tried 300/1200/2400/4800 baud, switching COM ports, disabling/lowering FIFO buffers
- LMR/PMR, normal/high speed, read/write/info, Run as admin, WinXP compatibility mode
- turning the radio on with UP+P3 shows "REV10 SunFC67"
- Tram 1180 antenna connected and disconnected

Radio is currently programmed with ch-01 which has squelch always open, static without antenna and a continuous loud ~10Hz digital hammering tone with antenna connected, and ch-02 squelched/static with P0.

Anything else I can try? Is my RJ45 cable/pinout correct? Should I abandon USB and venture into serial port land? Does the radio seem fubar? It's entirely possible as I picked it up for $20 from a cabbie. If I take it into a commercial radio shop, how much for diag/repair? Thanks!! :confused:

wa1nic

Premium Subscriber
I had problems programming an F221. I was running it off a deep cycle marine battery with a trickle charger connected to it.

The issue turned out to be that there was a small amount of 60 cycle hum on the 12 volts. I changed to a cleaner 12 volt source and all my programming problems went away.

FWIW, there was enough 60 cycle ripple present that I could hear a tiny bit of hum out of the speaker, even with the radio squelched.

Status
Not open for further replies.