False sense of security?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HowD

'Nother technique

Here in Passaic, NJ, the dispatcher will ask an officer to "go to 2" meaning to change to the 2nd police frequency. They will then get into the "is your radio..." business.

Just imagine a scene with tons of police present. Often, the police radio is very loud just by the number of units there. When they go off of the main frequency, there's less chance of the whole neighborhood (let alone the "bad guy") hearing what is said.

vitz

Hi, new guy here and I just started listening to my regional police depts after about a 10 years hiatus...

I've noticed that here in central NJ, New Brunswick and Rutgers police (which co-mingle sometimes) will say "4-8" to acknowledge receiving any particular messages during a conversation.

Is this commonly used elsewhere? Not sure if they are saying "48" "4-8" or something like that...

Air490

And just for some useless trivia...

The New South Wales Police in Australia (we only have state police forces here) also use the pharse "is your radio secure".

It makes me wonder if it doesn't have some sort of military origin considering it's widespread use.

rasputen246

Yep here in Rutherford County ,TN it's also are you "10-12".
If clear...they reply "10-50"...if needing to move back to the car or just out of range it's usually "standby".

Never heard them say is your radio clear.

jbstahr

rasputen246 said:
Yep here in Rutherford County ,TN it's also are you "10-12".
If clear...they reply "10-50"...if needing to move back to the car or just out of range it's usually "standby".

Never heard them say is your radio clear.

Here in York County, SC the dispatcher always asks the officer if their mike is secure before giving any warrant or suspension info.

kgasso

Feed Provider
Hm... old topic. :)

Around here, it depends on the agency...

Oregon State Police uses specific codes for common tasks, i.e. 12-20 is a request for priors, wants, etc. Dispatch will respond with 12-20A to inquire if the subject can hear the radio.

Our county and city agency is dispatched out of the same location, so they use the same procedure. Subjects with wants or potential hazards to law enforcement are referred to as "code 5". If an officer calls in wants on a subject, and the subject falls into this category, dispatch will respond with "code 5" (DL number/ID card based searches, DMV searches) or "possible code 5" (name-based searches, further descriptors needed) - they won't proceed with the want/warrant/caution note until the unit gives the "OK".

Halfpint

Slightly NE of the People's Republic of Firestone
Here in Colorado the CSP will usually `announce' either 10-99 or `possible' 10-99 depending upon what type of info they may have, EI: Definite Warrant or Possible Warrant but we sure could use more info from you, and then will add `Code 6" to find out if the `subject' is present or where they can hear what they have to say. (I'm actually listening to CSP at this very moment and the conversation was Dispatch, "3Adamxx 10-99, pause, Code 6." 3Adam xx, "Code 6 go ahead." Dispatch, "3Adamxx, and then the warrant info.") Sometimes they'll broadcast a tone and announce 10-99 in `such and such location' or maybe announce a trooper's call and say "In the blind 10-99." All of which I suppose could be said to serve, too.

Weld County SO, OTOH, seems to be a tad bit more `relaxed' about it and the officer is usually the one who initiates any warrant or other info by asking for it. (The last time I heard a county dispatcher `volunteer' the info before the officer replied I could hear the `subject' `raising a ruckus' back in `the cage' in the background and the officer requested that there be someone down at the `NJC' [Read Jail] to help him get the `subject' in *and* a *very* `curt' `Thanks alot!" Turned out that it was the dispatcher's first night on the job and had just taken over the console on a shift change and the previous dispatcher hadn't told her that the `subject' was probably already in the back and to wait for the Officer to request further info before `volunteering' it. My `step-sister-in-law', who happens to also dispatch out of the same center, told me about the rest of it a couple days later and said that *both* dispatchers got, as she put it, "A *good* `talking to' that they'll have a hard time `living down'." {VB GRIN!} She also said that it took 4 other Officers to get the `subject' out of the car and into booking! {YIKES!} Since then some of the dispatchers will use `code' and all of them pretty much wait until asked.) It's been quite a while since I've heard anything like, "Is your mike clear?", "Are you clear?", or any other variation along those lines.

Back in my `mis-spent youth' it was SOP for the dispatcher to always check the `records' but not air anything beyond an acknowledgement until we asked specifically for it. IE: We'd call in a DL and/or plates, the dispatcher would ackowledge, then as needed we would then request any info. If there was anything beyond `clear' the dispatcher would `call' us and depending upon the situation we would either reply as `standby' or `clear go ahead'. *If* it was something that warranted our `dropping' what we were doing the dispatcher's had one of those `front counter bells' type setups that they would `ring' before giving our ID and we would then acknowledge and either, as quickly as possible, clear up what we were doing or `cut loose' whomever we had and `start beating feet' so to speak. If it was a case of `extreme positive entropy in hades' they had a `howler' they'd transmit and then follow up with what the situation was and everyone who was *anywhere* even halfway close would *immediately* `drop' what they were doing, with a very few exceptions, and start `beating feet'. There actually were a couple times when *I* had to almost `throw' a `perp' out of my vehicle to answer one of *those* calls! (Fortunately *both* of those times it was something that I could easily go back later and finish up. [And *one* of them just the `act' of originally having the `perp' in the back of the car already to `take the ride' and then almost literally `throwing' him out made such an `impression' on him that after coming back later and hauling him down to the station the DA decided that he probably wasn't going to try it again and let him go *and* we never had any more problems with him after that! An early example of `scared straight'!? I *do* know that the last couple times I've run into him over the years he always thanks me for how things went that night. {GRIN!}])

It seems that there are quite a few different, as many as there are agencies and officers it seems, ways that it can be done and for us `scannists' the `best?' way to figure it out, besides discussing it here, is for us to just keep our ears `clean' and `open'. {GRIN!} It would be `nice' *if* there always was a specific code used nationwide but, given that it's just part of `human nature' to `do it our way', I suspect that it is something that'll never really ever happen. Besides... Just think of how boring it would be if we *didn't* have to figure out `regional?' differences and `quirks'? I dunno about you but to me it'd be almost like having everyone dressing, having the same `hairdo', wearing the same glasses, speaking with the same `accent' and `inflextions', ETC. just like everyone else. *Boring*! (Not to mention that all the `perps' everywhere would *also* end up knowing what was what, too. Which would probably make for some pretty `hairy' situations a lot more times than would be `wanted?'!? [While there are some `perps' who definitely aren't the `brightest candle in the candelabra' there are plenty more who are at least `average candles' and would pick up on what and how things were said. {WAN GRIN!}])

Just an `Olde Fart's' 2¢ worth. {GRIN!}

nashscan

In Brentwood, TN, dispatch says "10-31" for either warrants or criminal history. If the officer is clear, he or she says "go ahead".

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
To expand on MS-

10-29 check is wants etc.... usually just local.. but can also mean nationwide. Then of course iether dispatch asks "10-12?".. or asks in plian language "Clear for copy?".

10-31 check is of course NCIC.
10-32, would mean positive NCIC, then the dispatch says iether to give a 10-21 (Phone call) or ask if clear to copy.

The one thing I am still researching is the MS code listing for NCIC hits...

I know J-6 thru J-10 are narcotics crimes on file.. and a J-5 is a homocide want, J-1 is a Federal Want. Still trying to get ahold of the full list.

Chris-M

I hate it when 2 units start talking about a case, suspect, etc. on a TAC or 'back channel' and just as you think something good is about to be said, I hear 'call my Nextel' or 'what's your cell number'? :?

Status
Not open for further replies.