FCC Email

Status
Not open for further replies.

Confuzzled

The center topic of this discussion has wondered around from frequency use to paging tones and back. There has been mention of asking to use the other departments radio frequency in your radio.

I thought he was talking about the PLs. He has the frequencies and you really don't need pager tones to transmit.

medic9351301

Banned
if you can be arrested for having a radio that will transmit on unauthorized freqs then i know a lot of hams.
that are under the gun lol. if you need freqs just got the fcc website under uls and it gives you a search opt.

as for tx on another departments freq just ask, if that dont work have a higher up person go ask.

just rember. this if its a life or death situation do it

So many topic changes in this thread. lol
I was originally asking the FD for the A/B Tones that are used to set off the pagers, which have nothing to do about transmitting. As for the transmitting topic...I was asking if its legal to have a radio with transmitting frequencies programmed but not used. I will not be transmitting unless during mutual aid and only when necessary/authorized by my dept chief.

Gezelle007

Lurker in the Deep
Premium Subscriber
I was originally asking the FD for the A/B Tones that are used to set off the pagers, which have nothing to do about transmitting. As for the transmitting topic...I was asking if its legal to have a radio with transmitting frequencies programmed but not used. I will not be transmitting unless during mutual aid and only when necessary/authorized by my dept chief.

Did you hear back from the FCC?

I'm with the others on this one, should've just asked your chief to obtain the info...

Did you hear back from the FCC?

Negative. I didnt think I would

Here's a kicker...apparently I had asked about the AB tones in the past on here for the same department...turns out its
(I have some other saved audio files with other tones on it if anyone wants to decode those?)
Motorola Quick call group 5 :
A tone is 584.8 hz
B tone 688.3 hz

Last edited:

Confuzzled

I don't get why you need those tones. Mutual Aid only covers you if YOUR department is paged to respond. It doesn't cover you if you hear their tones and show up on your own.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
. I will not be transmitting unless during mutual aid and only when necessary/authorized by my dept chief.

Just remember as others have already said, unless the mutual aid or ther agreements say so, it is NOT your chief who can authorize you to operate a transmitter on the other dept. license. the person or entity who can is the other licensee. Take a look at the other dept license at the FCC database and see who the licensee is. That person or entity is who can grant use of their channel, nobody else (assuming nobody else has it licensed as well).

In your case, being neighboring departments, this is probably not an issue, but for the thread: another reason to have those agreements in place is so the dispatchers or other authorized users know who is showing up on their channel. ("Unit 471, who the heck is that???")

n5ims

In your case, being neighboring departments, this is probably not an issue, but for the thread: another reason to have those agreements in place is so the dispatchers or other authorized users know who is showing up on their channel. ("Unit 471, who the heck is that???")

Please note that to the dispatch operator it won't be "Unit 471 is not one of ours, but since they're calling me I guess I should answer." it'll be more like "Unit 471 is not one of ours, I guess skip's rolling in so I'll have to make sure to ignore their transmissions."

I know this is probably a stupid question but why would you need the tones? I'm not in the fire service but I thought tones were just for pagers & selective station alerting.

Last edited:

Gezelle007

Lurker in the Deep
Premium Subscriber
Yeah, first you said you needed the frequencies... then you said you were looking for the PL tones... now you're saying you want the pager tones... Do you even work for an agency in the first place? You didn't say in your email to the fcc either... which I would have made clear... if one would want that kind of attention in the first place.

I know this is probably a stupid question but why would you need the tones? I'm not in the fire service but I thought tones were just for pagers & selective station alerting.
That's true.

All he would need for programming the HT1250 is the input and output frequency for the repeater and the pl tone. I don't see why he'd need A/B tones when he's using the radio for mutual aid and not as a pager.

The radio is used for everyday fire dept traffic. When I refer to the A/B frequencies I'm referring to the A/B Tones. The radio is also used for M/A and a pager when we are sleeping.

ecps92

Folks to clear this up, he wants the PAGER Tones

His use of the word Frequency had many confuzzled and perplexed, even me for awhile.

The FCC is probably chuckling over a letter about Paging Tones :twisted:

The radio is used for everyday fire dept traffic. When I refer to the A/B frequencies I'm referring to the A/B Tones. The radio is also used for M/A and a pager when we are sleeping.

steve0622

I'm a firefighter in texas and this is the way it works with us. Our department has an agreement with the other departments within my county that we are allowed to have their frequencies and pager tones within our personal equipment. We offer mutual aid to the surrounding counties and are not allowed to have the pager tones in our personal equipment for the surround counties considering when we go to mutual aid, we use the mutual aid frequencies for our area. Now, with that being said, we do have an agreement with the surround counties to have the fire tones in the radios within the fire trucks themselves, but not in our personal radios we have at home or in our POV.

Folks to clear this up, he wants the PAGER Tones

His use of the word Frequency had many confuzzled and perplexed, even me for awhile.

The FCC is probably chuckling over a letter about Paging Tones :twisted:

Correct. Though measured in Hertz, the "tones" are still frequencies.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
True, but the FCC doesn't give a rats behind about A/B tones or frequencies. So not sure why they got put into the first post?

True, but the FCC doesn't give a rats behind about A/B tones or frequencies. So not sure why they got put into the first post?

The first post, the email, was only about transmit/input frequencies. This thread has changed topics over and over again and that's probably my fault for not being as clear as I should have been. Anyway I got the information that I needed and the radio is fully programmed to what its use is intended for.

Status
Not open for further replies.