FDNY Queens Volume

Status
Not open for further replies.

sogs

Premium Subscriber
For the past year I have the FDNY Queens volume turned up all the way on the volume slider (online) and you can only hear the transmissions if you put your ear to the speakers. All the other FDNY borough transmissions are fine. I have emailed the feeder twice and have never received a response. Anyone else have this problem or a solution?

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I listened to Queens, Brooklyn, Manhattan and Bronx. The audio is somewhat lower and scratchy on Queens compared to the others but I did not have issues hearing it. I had the volume sliders all just over 3/4 of the way. I definitely did not have to press my ears against the speakers.

1710857506488.png

sogs

Premium Subscriber
This problem is on two different computers, two different operating systems and two different browsers. It has always been like this. The problem is not on my end and I have inquired about this to support and they don't seem to care.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
This problem is on two different computers, two different operating systems and two different browsers. It has always been like this. The problem is not on my end and I have inquired about this to support and they don't seem to care.
As the feeds are provided by volunteers and not maintained by Broadcastify I'm not sure what "support" can do about it.

sogs

Premium Subscriber
As the feeds are provided by volunteers and not maintained by Broadcastify I'm not sure what "support" can do about it.
If all the others are coming in normal and one is not the problem cannot be on my end. My volume slider is all the way up.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
For the past year I have the FDNY Queens volume turned up all the way on the volume slider (online) and you can only hear the transmissions if you put your ear to the speakers.

In a perfect world,

WHEN SUBMITTING A PROBLEM REPORT​

First and foremost, understand that all feed providers are volunteers who probably are not sitting at the radio you are listening to. Therefore, they may not be able to quickly respond to a problem report. Be patient, and give them some time to resolve the issue you are reporting.

We are not in a perfect world.

Your email address will be sent with this problem report unless you remove it from the "From" field above.
Did you leave yours in and have you checked your spam folder?

Be courteous when submitting a problem report. The feed provider will receive this report directly, so professionalism is strongly recommended when you submit your report
If the report goes thru Broadcastify, its possible the feed provider has not logged into his account. People can have real life or medical issues going on. Just because a feed is up does not mean the provider is sitting right there. There are a ton of snow birds in NY and quite possible the provider is sitting on a beach in FL.

If it's not frowned upon, try calling out the feed provider. Start a thread in NY asking the provider of FDNY Queens to pm you.

sogs

Premium Subscriber
In a perfect world,

We are not in a perfect world.

Your email address will be sent with this problem report unless you remove it from the "From" field above.
Did you leave yours in and have you checked your spam folder?

Be courteous when submitting a problem report. The feed provider will receive this report directly, so professionalism is strongly recommended when you submit your report
If the report goes thru Broadcastify, its possible the feed provider has not logged into his account. People can have real life or medical issues going on. Just because a feed is up does not mean the provider is sitting right there. There are a ton of snow birds in NY and quite possible the provider is sitting on a beach in FL.

If it's not frowned upon, try calling out the feed provider. Start a thread in NY asking the provider of FDNY Queens to pm you.
When I am the only person having trouble with the volume on only one feed and I have the volume slider all the way up, the problem cannot be on my end. I cannot do anything other than turn the volume slider all the way up. Only the developer should know why it's not working properly.

sogs

Premium Subscriber
When only one person has an issue, it's usually on their end. When multiple people have a problem it's usually the providers side.
You are absolutely correct. That is 99.9% of the time. I have no control over the way the feed comes through. I only have control of the volume slider. If there is some other setting that I don't know of, apparently no one else does.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Have you looked at all the volume and sound related settings in windows? I mean if your playing thru chrome or edge, they have controls and maybe balance might be off or something. Tho the other feeds play fine yet your the only one seeing this does seem odd.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
You are absolutely correct. That is 99.9% of the time. I have no control over the way the feed comes through. I only have control of the volume slider. If there is some other setting that I don't know of, apparently no one else does.
Everyone's individual computer is different. I'm not sure what else to tell you. Everything here is not perfect. The feeds are provided by volunteers. I checked the feed and the volume sounds fine. The provider is the same person who provides the other FDNY feeds. There have been no other feed problem reports on this feed that I can see that are outstanding.

The only thing I can tell you at this point is maybe go buy a huge set of speakers with a 250,000 watt amp and crank that sucker up and just blast it. 😬

I'm listening to the feed now and it sounds great, the audio is loud and clear etc. 🤷🏻‍♂️

No offense man, but this problem is on your end, and our support team just can't troubleshoot a local computer problem. We're not a computer technical support team here.

sogs

Premium Subscriber
Everyone's individual computer is different. I'm not sure what else to tell you. Everything here is not perfect. The feeds are provided by volunteers. I checked the feed and the volume sounds fine. The provider is the same person who provides the other FDNY feeds. There have been no other feed problem reports on this feed that I can see that are outstanding.

The only thing I can tell you at this point is maybe go buy a huge set of speakers with a 250,000 watt amp and crank that sucker up and just blast it. 😬

I'm listening to the feed now and it sounds great, the audio is loud and clear etc. 🤷🏻‍♂️

No offense man, but this problem is on your end, and our support team just can't troubleshoot a local computer problem. We're not a computer technical support team here.
Well, I just stumbled onto something interesting. No, the problem is not on my end. If you paid attention to my original complaint, I stated this problem is on three different computers, operating on three different Windows systems. What I just did was use the NYFD Feed that has all the boroughs together. When that feed broadcasts Queens it is loud and clear and the separate Queens feed is not audible unless I put my ear to the speaker. Once again, I have no control over this except with the volume slider unless there is some kind of option or setting that only you know about. If the feed comes in loud and clear on the multi borough feed and it's not loud on the Queens feed, then the problem is on your end.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Well, I just stumbled onto something interesting. No, the problem is not on my end. If you paid attention to my original complaint, I stated this problem is on three different computers, operating on three different Windows systems. What I just did was use the NYFD Feed that has all the boroughs together. When that feed broadcasts Queens it is loud and clear and the separate Queens feed is not audible unless I put my ear to the speaker. Once again, I have no control over this except with the volume slider unless there is some kind of option or setting that only you know about. If the feed comes in loud and clear on the multi borough feed and it's not loud on the Queens feed, then the problem is on your end.
I was curious so I listened to the individual feeds myself. The Queens audio is definitely considerably lower for me as well.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
I just did some listening and if you compare the feeds in a dashboard with all boroughs and the volume at the same level for all, Queens is significantly lower in volume.

EDIT

I attached a screenshot of my dashboard with volumes adjusted to provide a consistent level across all feeds. My system volume is at 50%

Attachments

• FDNY Dashboard.PNG
    FDNY Dashboard.PNG
    210.9 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

sogs

Premium Subscriber
I just did some listening and if you compare the feeds in a dashboard with all boroughs and the volume at the same level for all, Queens is significantly lower in volume.

EDIT

I attached a screenshot of my dashboard with volumes adjusted to provide a consistent level across all feeds. My system volume is at 50%
Precisely. My dashboard level is similar. However, mine is inaudible at normal listening levels. Even if I raise the volume on my computer to a ridiculous level, Queens comes in, but very scratchy. It's not that way in the all borough feed. I would have to put all other volume sliders on the dashboard to just barely minimum. It should not be this way. I would then have to remember to turn down the computer volume whenever I want to listen to music or anything on the web.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
The FDNY feeds are inconsistent and have been for years.
  • Bronx sounds quite good, albeit a little bit hot (red indicates clipping)
  • Brooklyn volume is at least 10 dB lower than it should be
  • Manhattan has an awful ground loop hum
  • Queens volume is at least 20 dB lower than it should be
All except the Bronx need some attention.

1711310824205.png

AB5ID

You can improve it by using audio processing software on your PC. You can use VST plugins and a VST host to filter, compress, limit, and apply noise gating to the available audio.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
You can improve it by using audio processing software on your PC. You can use VST plugins and a VST host to filter, compress, limit, and apply noise gating to the available audio.
Take a look at the audio spectrum in my post, then reconsider what you're suggesting. There is a glaringly obvious issue with the audio output on two of those feeds that needs to be addressed by the feed provider. Applying software "fixes" is not the answer.

AB5ID

Take a look at the audio spectrum in my post, then reconsider what you're suggesting. There is a glaringly obvious issue with the audio output on two of those feeds that needs to be addressed by the feed provider. Applying software "fixes" is not the answer.
I completely agree, but if the volunteer feed provider isn't interested in making any changes, what else is there to do?

sogs

Premium Subscriber
I completely agree, but if the volunteer feed provider isn't interested in making any changes, what else is there to do?
The volunteer provider's feed is not the problem on the Queens feed. Queens is loud and clear on the multi-borough feed. So, it must be coming in fine to Broadcastify. It is inaudible on the single Queens feed. The problem is apparently from Broadcastify out. The other problems with hum on some other feeds are another matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.