Feels Like College again...

Status
Not open for further replies.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
I am taking the MetEd, COMET courses for SkyWARN Storm Spotter training and feel like I am back in college LOL. Have done 4 of the Mesoscale Meteorology sets so far and only had to retake one quiz once as I was off by 1 point on passing level. I hope to have all the online stuff done by end of August at the latest, and then attend an in person NWS session to get the official training completion and NWS Spotter Number. Also will see if IN Dept of Homeland Security Emergency Management Division requires any other paperwork etc. Then can focus on getting a Amateur Radio license and dual band HT.

Will001

Premium Subscriber
Good luck! I completed the courses earlier this year, and I received my certification soon thereafter. SKYWARN is a good program, and I’m sure you will enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
Congratulations and good luck

Sent from my iPhone 8 using Tapatalk Pro
Jason WX4JCW
XPR7550 - SDS100

Rred

Courses??

I'm not sure what you're trying to credential for, but when I got my NWS Stormspotter card, basically I spent a half-day at an NWS class and agreed that if I saw flying cows, with no visible means of propulsion, I could report a tornado.

Unless NWS has changed...radically...you must be pursuing that as part of something else?

frankdrebbin

I took a St. Louis NWS night class a couple years ago. So basically if we knew what hail was, see a tornado, or big snow storm, we call the NWS and give your spotter # and report what we saw. I usually just listen to our county EMA spotters on the scanner to get an idea what's heading my way. I'm a lineman so it's a good way to figger if I'm going to work or not.

INDY72

The first time I opened the link it went to the list of Distance Training courses.. SO I enrolled and took the WHOLE Mesoscale Meteorology Basics course.. and was about to do the Hydro course when I rechecked and the link went to the 2 Storm Spotter lessons. SO those are both done as well as the extra stuff, and am still gonna take the Flooding Courses, and all the other free ones I can. Everything helps, and they do count towards actual Credits in most Meteorology Courses in college level. I figure that actually having a deeper understanding of what your looking at is a good thing anyway right? Now I am waiting to hear back from NWS about the next step as they do not have ANY classes listed on any schedule for this area and I can not travel to the other regions currently.

ipfd320

Banned
Met Ed is Another Way of Learning for Skywarn Storm Spotting-- These Online Classes were Created Due to the Limited NWS Sit In Classes and Not Many Areas Available and for People with Lack of Transportation

These Onlines have the Basic and Advanced Spotter Readings and Testing and More

Good Luck to All of You Learning the Online and Just Have Fun at It

Will001

Premium Subscriber
Some offices require a course in a classroom, some require a completion of the online courses, or both of these. The Columbia SC field office let’s you do either the online classes or the classroom training.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zapman987

Premium Subscriber
From you guys descriptions, might have to look into the online courses if they get very detailed. Ive always done the inperson classes, which are like 2 hrs, mostly pictures of what to look for, but not very technical.

INDY72

The online Spotter Courses are only a little more in depth than in person from what I am being told. But, the advanced Mesoscale courses are for those that want to get an much deeper understanding of what your spotting, and are an essential if you want to really understand the forecasts, radar imagery, etc... And if your going to be a Chaser, take every one of the courses you can, the more you really know and understand, the more you can help out , and it can just possibly save your life. I took the Mesoscale by mistake at first, but am now very glad I did, as I now have a much deeper understanding of how storms really work. I am also doing the Hydrological, and Fire courses (Fire set was just updated for the Situational Awareness portions due to the Holy Fire).

Status
Not open for further replies.