Findlay Police?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Hello, I have been living away in California for a while and I was born and raised in Findlay. I used to be able to hear them on their analog city of Findlay radio system. I know that that Findlay moved to MARCS but, did they recycle the analog system already too? And if so, did MARCS get the old city of findlay's frequencies for their use? OK thanks soo much!

Iron Triangle Ohio... otherweise known as Fostoria
The city of Findlay sold off there existing frequencies that were used for the old smartnet TRS to Marcs. All of Findlay and Hancock County are using Marcs, However Findlay Police has chosen to encrypt all of their dispatching and communications. So listening to them is impossible within any of our capabilities. However Findlay Fire, HCSO, Hancock Fire and everything else is still able to be tuned in with a digital scanner.

ATFD286

Premium Subscriber
Was curious if anyone else out there that monitors Findlay PD has been hearing their traffic over the past couple of days like I have and right as I type actually through the live feed. I know that they chose to encrypt when they switched to Marcs, but I'm wondering if new city administration is asking that they go back to normal.

JD72305

We have been wondering the same thing at work. I have been hearing them on our station scanner. I have a contact I can check with.

**Edit**- They have been un-encrypted since Tuesday. They were having issues and had to switch to back ups which require them to be open.

On a personal note, I have been hearing through the grape vine that they have been having some serious issues with the system. I don't know if that can be confirmed at all but it's something to take note of I would say.

Last edited:

ATFD286

Premium Subscriber
JD, your grapevine rumor is probably true. The person that was, for the most part, the mastermind behind their Marcs swtichover is no longer there. He resigned awhile back after coming under investigation for his "on the job" fetish issues. He was extremely skilled when it came to FPD's technology and radioes, but at the same time was a pervert. They don't have anyone there currently that has much knowledge pertaining to the Marcs system.

I have noticed that they are not using encryption as well. It may be an issue with their CAD system. It's nice though to be able to hear whats going on around Findlay again. Some were wondering if the new mayor being sworn in had something to do with it, But only time will tell. I for one think it's pointless to encrypt their main dispatch channel. Columbus, Toledo and Dayton have a much larger crime rate than the little city of Findlay and they don't even encrypt their main dispatch channels. It costs more to maintain, And not to mention the fact that they are encouraging citizens of the city to be engaged in block watch activity, Well that's all fine and well, But how are citizens supposed to be engaged in block watch activities if they don't know whats going on in their neighborhoods. If I still lived in Findlay and heard that some punks were breaking into cars in my neighborhood, I could easily look out my window, observe the individuals in question and call the dispatcher with a description, direction of travel of the suspects and a possible plate number of a vehicle they may have gotten in.

With that being said, Lets hope that the administration continues open dispatching, Now that the individual who worked there is no longer on board. But I'm not holding my breath.

jackj

Scannerhead, I agree 100%. Fulton Co. Sheriff, which dispatches for all PDs & FDs in the county, prefixes their BOLOs. with "All 2600 units and listening units....." I don't know if they get many valid calls from the public but I suppose they do get a few. Sometime in the next few days, weeks, months, they will switch over to a sub-system on the Lucas Co. TRS. I understand that the Sheriff and PD units will be encrypted. If so then any help they get from the public will unfortunately end. I'm hoping that the dispatch talk group(s) won't be encrypted 100% of the time. It's nice to know what is going on in the county....slick roads, tornadoes, etc.

JD72305

Yes, while going back and reading the previous articles in the thread I saw that the person who was setting everything up is no longer there which is a shame because for the most part when I dealt with him he was a good guy.

That being said, I don't believe it will have anything to do with the current administration though it is possible the new city safety/service director and the mayor could look at cost savings and pressure a change. It was said over and over that the police chief was going to be the ultimate decider on if the department traffic is encrypted and he has been quoted that he is for the encryption so I believe he will keep it as long as it is either finacially responsible. He has also been heard at town meetings saying we need to get more block watch programs so he is all for that also.

I think that sensitive information should be encrypted 110%. Vice and narcotics, tactical channels.. Those should be encrypted for the safety of the officers and the public. But general dispatching being encrypted is a bit overboard. Ultimately it's up to the chief as JD has stated. So I guess we'll see what pans out in the next couple weeks. Hopefully through enough town meetings the citizens of the city of Findlay can convince the chief to at least open the general dispatching back up. If the chief is still Officer Young, He's a good guy, I've met him a couple times. Ether way I hope they get their communications system figured out. Only time will tell.

And Jack I remember hearing about Fulton county up there, I think they are full strapped encryption. Hardin county has also encrypted all their SO channels too. It's these dang cellphone apps that are killing it for the scanner community. Any joe shmoe and his brother can download these apps on their phones and listen to public safety communications. Where as before you would have to buy a scanner, and figure out how to program it. All the customers I have programmed scanners for have all been just your average scanner buff, I have never programmed scanners for younger kids, as in most cases they could be using it for questionable reasons. That just goes to show though that technology can be good, and bad at the same time. Lets hope that the wave of encryption does not rapidly progress around here.

nikealli25

Findlay PD

I guess Findlay City has decided to encrypte the Police Radios. I have not heard any Findlay Police on my scanner today. Anyone else?

They more than likely traced the problem with their T-1 line and are using their original CAD system again. The backup CAD that they were using did not support the use of encryption. Hopefully enough people can go to the town meetings in Findlay and voice that they want to be able to tune into the PD again. They were un encrypted for a couple weeks and I do not recall reading anything bad happening with someone using a scanner/mobile phone to listen to them. With the new mayor in office and the officer that pushed for encryption no longer with the department... maybe out of a crazy turn of events they will go unencrypted again. But I am not holding my breath. It was a nice couple weeks though being able to know whats going on in the City Of Findlay.

Status
Not open for further replies.