Fire Tones...

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kb0nly

What happened to the fire tones on the database?? I used to refer to the Lincoln County MN page to get the fire tones for programming scanners all the time, now i go over there today to drop the info into my BCD396T i just got and they are missing. I submitted that info originally and forgot/lost it and now i don't know what they are anymore.

K

kb0nly

All of that information should have been moved to the wiki. Here is Lincoln County's page, however it only shows one set of tones for an unknown agency.

Seems like it got lost somewhere.

Ahh ok, didn't know it all moved there.. Must have missed that announcement.

Yeah... Darn. I think that set of tones is the ambulance. I will have to check tomorrow during the pager test and see which one it alerts on.

Know of a program a guy can run on a computer which shows the tones being received? I have the scanner feeding the audio to the computer for the online feeds now anyway, so all i would have to do is download the archive from noon or 6pm of any day of the week and listen to the pager tests.

K

kb0nly

I tried using the how-to in the wiki using Audacity to decode... Don't work...

When i click on Analyze all the selections are greyed out and can't be clicked on, so i can't tell it to decode the tone. Any ideas? This sucks.. I had them ALL documented.

box23

Are you sure you are highlighting the tone in the audio track before trying to analyze? If not then the menu items under analyze will be grayed out.

K

kb0nly

Yes i was but i finally figured it out. You have to have it Stopped... If you Pause it then you can't use the Analyze no matter what you highlight.

I spent about an hour going through last nights pager test to try and get the tones, the tones Audacity is telling me don't come close to anything in the QCII tone chart i found online. Most are 10-50Hz off.

K

kb0nly

Still trying to find a better option... I like the look of Commtekk's Two-Tone program but i'm not about to pay $50 for it. Anything similar thats free?? Or at least has a trial?

box23

Hmm... I've only had one or two that were off by that much. Most that I decode are usually withing 10Hz.

I usually zoom in pretty far and select a clean portion of the audio. But even with some noisy recordings I have been able to extract a fairly accurate tone pitch.

Also, make sure are selecting just one tone of the two. I'm assuming you are doing this, but in case not there you go.

I don't know of a free program such Comtekk's decoder.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
If you look in the wiki article, you will find a couple of other options such as WinTone, which I recently saw a note about getting it from another site. There's the beta of two tone detect, and even something called 'musical tuner'

I understand counter.exe is also part of some Windows installations; I haven't checked, but I understand there's a copy in the 396 Yahoo group files section.

Undoubtedly there are other audio measuring options out there...73 Mike

K

kb0nly

If you look in the wiki article, you will find a couple of other options such as WinTone, which I recently saw a note about getting it from another site. There's the beta of two tone detect, and even something called 'musical tuner'

I understand counter.exe is also part of some Windows installations; I haven't checked, but I understand there's a copy in the 396 Yahoo group files section.

Undoubtedly there are other audio measuring options out there...73 Mike

I've tried and tried to get Wintone. Every place i check is dead websites or no file. I didn't see the link to two tone detect will check again.

I tried that counter.exe program from the 396 yahoo group, won't run on any of the computers i own, says there is no valid wave driver and then crashes and gives me some random error message in computereese.

I spent all afternoon google searching for other options, if they exist i haven't found them!

I did find the proper tone out for my town's FD in some OLD files i had, took a while to find but easier then finding a program to do it. I updated the Wiki with the correct info also.

Thats only ONE of a half dozen or so tones in this county, but its too time consuming to get the rest.

K

kb0nly

Hmm... I've only had one or two that were off by that much. Most that I decode are usually withing 10Hz.

I usually zoom in pretty far and select a clean portion of the audio. But even with some noisy recordings I have been able to extract a fairly accurate tone pitch.

Also, make sure are selecting just one tone of the two. I'm assuming you are doing this, but in case not there you go.

I don't know of a free program such Comtekk's decoder.

I am selecting just one tone... Problem is what i normally come up with using audacity doesn't even match a tone in the charts i have been able to find online, thats why i'm saying its so far off, because i have to just pick the next closest tone and thats usually too far off.

Anyone know a better chart showing the tones than the ones in the wiki? Preferably one thats like in close numerical order so you can quickly look at the chart and see whats close?

Status
Not open for further replies.