Firmware Updates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjdakabob

I am using Sentinel V2.02 rev. 01. I have had my SDS 200 over a year and do updates weekly. I have yet to have it update the firmware which seems odd to me since I have to think they have made changes since then. Firmware shows 1.10.00, Database 10/10/2021, and Sub CPU 1.02.01. I have searched to see any other places I may be missing to get these updates, but to no avail... there are also no updates at my.uniden.com where I registered the device... or maybe there are no updates yet and the versions are correct and up-to-date. Thanks...

tvengr

Well Known Member
There have not been any firmware updates for some time. Hopefully, there will be one soon for TDMA control channels used by some of the new Harris systems.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I am using Sentinel V2.02 rev. 01. I have had my SDS 200 over a year and do updates weekly. I have yet to have it update the firmware which seems odd to me since I have to think they have made changes since then. Firmware shows 1.10.00, Database 10/10/2021, and Sub CPU 1.02.01. I have searched to see any other places I may be missing to get these updates, but to no avail... there are also no updates at my.uniden.com where I registered the device... or maybe there are no updates yet and the versions are correct and up-to-date. Thanks...
Uniden has not released any firmware updates for the SDS models in over a year.
You are up to date with the versions you posted.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
-
Those are the current publicly available versions, when new versions are available they will be released through the Sentinel firmware update process.

Newly manufactured units may show a newer version to address minor changes in system hardware components etc. (you can find other threads explaining that in the RR forums).

Last edited:

kruser

Premium Subscriber
There have not been any firmware updates for some time. Hopefully, there will be one soon for TDMA control channels used by some of the new Harris systems.
I do wonder how many models Uniden will go back to and add TDMA control channel support.
Hopefully all of the older phase II capable models will get the update.

Ubbe

I think its normal business practice to not improve older equipment to make them more equal in performance to a newer model range.

You get money from selling new equipment, not upgrading old stuff, even if was a $50 paid option. Unidens management needs to take decisions to make a profit and they do that by introducing newer models with new features that must not be available more or less for free in older models.

/Ubbe

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
Newly manufactured units may show a newer version to address minor changes in system hardware components etc. (you can find other threads explaining that in the RR forums).

So far that does not apply to the SDS series; Just about all other models (currently or soon), but not the SDS.

And this in itself accounts for a lot of the delay in new firmware for the SDS series.

Ubbe

Can you elaborate:unsure:
Joe says that the firmware changes to older models to handle new chips in them that replaces obsolete ones have priority, to be able to sell scanners, than any bug fixes to SDS firmware, which is still selling plenty and seem to be hard to get hold of. So no need to rush out any SDS bug fixes for a long time as long as there's no over stock to try and get rid off.

Uniden probably also have given priority to their new device to be presented in 3-4 months time. Maybe its the SDS500 that have been missing since it was rumored together with SDS100/200 and might be an add on spectrum touch display with some new features to instantly find new transmissions in a 3MHz wide band.

/Ubbe

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Joe says that the firmware changes to older models to handle new chips in them that replaces obsolete ones have priority, to be able to sell scanners, than any bug fixes to SDS firmware, which is still selling plenty and seem to be hard to get hold of. So no need to rush out any SDS bug fixes for a long time as long as there's no over stock to try and get rid off.

Uniden probably also have given priority to their new device to be presented in 3-4 months time. Maybe its the SDS500 that have been missing since it was rumored together with SDS100/200 and might be an add on spectrum touch display with some new features to instantly find new transmissions in a 3MHz wide band.

/Ubbe

Wow, he said all that? Maybe Joe can speak for himself..

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
What Ubbe posted is pretty accurate. To put more of a fine point on it:

Most models are undergoing a firmware update to accommodate new parts due to some parts going NLA (No Longer Available).

The firmware has to be updated to allow these models to continue to work (and be sold as Ubbe says). Many newer models are already in the field. I've posted many of the firmware updates as they are released.

There are also new models currently using a lot of time for the firmware writers. As these are developed I am trying to make sure that they are refined with respect to some updates that were needed, so that is taking even more time to 'get right'.

Hopefully when this is done they will have time to work on the bug fixes that have been identified before the next models enter the final stages.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
What Ubbe posted is pretty accurate. To put more of a fine point on it:

Most models are undergoing a firmware update to accommodate new parts due to some parts going NLA (No Longer Available).

The firmware has to be updated to allow these models to continue to work (and be sold as Ubbe says). Many newer models are already in the field. I've posted many of the firmware updates as they are released.

There are also new models currently using a lot of time for the firmware writers. As these are developed I am trying to make sure that they are refined with respect to some updates that were needed, so that is taking even more time to 'get right'.

Hopefully when this is done they will have time to work on the bug fixes that have been identified before the next models enter the final stages.

Oh Joe, not again? So is Ubbe (the non-owner of an SDS scanner, but portrays himself as one), is now speaking on your behalf? So the "Help me, help you" thread was all a big smoke screen for any firmware updates for the SDS series...you know, "the list" that was started over 10 months ago? I really wish you'd stop playing games and misrepresenting yourself on here, or at least come out from behind the curtain as to you're real identity once and for all and explain what is really going on. Still working on new hardware, I should go back a few months and it's the same bs you said before. Like I said before, prove me and many of your doubters wrong. Direct your workforce (if you have one) to change direction, and pick out the top 5 bug fixes of the SDS series and correct them, or put out some beta firmware for us to tinker with. But...I don't expect to see that as usual...stop playing the game Joe.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I think its normal business practice to not improve older equipment to make them more equal in performance to a newer model range.

You get money from selling new equipment, not upgrading old stuff, even if was a $50 paid option. Unidens management needs to take decisions to make a profit and they do that by introducing newer models with new features that must not be available more or less for free in older models.

/Ubbe

Uniden is not going to continue to make a profit by selling half-baked products, discontinuing firmware updates and abandoning their current products before they're finished, as well as abandoning their loyal customers! :mad:

ur20v

The Feds say my name hot like when the oven on
Well, if Uniden decides to abandon the x36 line (as implied in Joe's reply above), I really hope Unication actually brings a new scanner to market, otherwise I won't have a clear upgrade path. I sure as hell won't be buying more Uniden products and loading them up with optional extra-cost upgrades again.

If they choose to continue support the x36 scanners, then I will continue to be a customer and consider their new products as they are released. These are capable devices with more potential, and it would be shameful to kill support for them.

crippledchicken

Premium Subscriber
Personally, I don't believe there will be (any) new model scanners from any company in the future due to total encryption or at least, so much will be encrypted that no one will want to purchase one! JMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.