First computer controlled scanners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

b52hbuff

Premium Subscriber
So I was thinking about how far we've come in the hobby and just how 'mundane' computer controlled radios are. It got me to wondering what were the first computer controlled scanners?

I think the first mobile would have been the AOR-8000.

I think Uniden's first computer controlled radio would be the BC-245XLT, but there weren't a lot of software packages for it when it came out.

Was GRE's first computer controlled the Pro-92?

w4esp

first computer controled scanners

well some are controlable and some are just programed by computers, some of the first controllable scanners i had around 1985 where (looking at my shelf) icom ic-r7000, yeasu frg9600, then some aor equipment like aor 3000 and uniden bc 8100, the gre series scanners are programable only (with the exception of pro2006 and other similar models with opto electronics add on board) i still use several of these here. dont forget the black box's, i think the first was icom pcr-100 which was 100% software controled. remember 286 computers ?

thanks for waking up memories, im usually too busy to think about the old days

73'
tom w4esp

I remember the AOR 3000 and AOR 2500 in PopComm ads around '93. I ended up getting the 2500 for about 400 bucks, then found out that the software was another 200 bucks! Ouch.

I have the software now, of course--it is downloadable and the company ACE Communications that licensed it is long gone. Too bad my area has gone Digi---about all I can monitor on it now are ambulances, trains, hams, and planes.

Status
Not open for further replies.