• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

FM CB

Golay

Okay so it's been a bit since FM has come out. Anyone using it on a regular basis? If so, thoughts on buying a few and using as a base and a few mobiles for back country communications. Think AM skip would be an issue?
We're pondering a project.
Thanks.

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
I love it here, can talk to friends without all the local hillbilly CB's *****ing and complaing. You are close to me, I will lend you a Lincoln II+ if you would like to try it out. Why did complaing get blocked?

sunwave

Premium Subscriber
How else would we know if 10m is open?
Usually a full coverage shortwave radio with single side band will do the trick because they can tune right into 10 m. If you don't have one here is aa list Amazon.com : shortwave ssb

Another method is using a dx cluster website like this one
Radio DXFUN Cluster - www.dxfuncluster.com

Also a Solar Conditions website like this one that has a nice layout.
Solar Conditions and Ham Radio Propagation (w5mmw.net)

This shows M.U.F. Maximum Usable Frequency mapped
MUF(3000km) (kc2g.com) (1,864 mile radius from your location)

FoF2 is literally pegged with charged electrons from the high solar cycle 25 flux output from the sun. Tomorrow's F10.7cm radio flux to 208 sfu. That is going to make busy channels like 27.025, 27.085, 27.185, 27.285, 27.385 have constant flow of signals heterodyne or squall in the strawberry patch. on 10m listen on 29.620MHz. That is the Catskills Mountain repeater in New York that will boom in. Any scanner with a good antenna should hear it as long as it coverage is at least 29MHz. Most Uniden modern conventional scanners will do it.

Last edited:

gary123

The signal is so messy and over powered its hard to tell if its splatter or just a poor cross channel filtering in the radios.

slowmover

Okay so it's been a bit since FM has come out. Anyone using it on a regular basis? If so, thoughts on buying a few and using as a base and a few mobiles for back country communications. Think AM skip would be an issue?
We're pondering a project.
Thanks.

Looks like you’ve broad & long experience in radio. So bear with the response for those that haven’t.

A radio equipped with FM isn’t a bad idea. But, IMO, AM/SSB has priority in radio choice. I’ve chatted only a few times on FM with other truck drivers when we’re a few miles apart and stuck at receivers/shippers. (“Kick it to 26 for the real deal”; a West Memphis reference).

AM
SSB
FM

Would be how I ranked what to buy based on manufacturer reputation and reviews I might find.

Frankly, as difficult as Skip has made daytime operations (the soul-less airing their psychoses for the credit/money they receive), experimentation is what’s needed.

SKIP Problems in Noise Abatement.

Some places in a given region aren’t as heavily affected. FM just might be the ticket, then.

Homes with base stations & vehicles with extra-good antenna systems is how I’d look at the project. FM ops a subset.

Assuming that mobile is the thing, car/pickup owners are terrible about having good antenna systems. The ones I talk to from the big truck fade out almost immediately. Exceptions exist, but they’re rare.

IOW, I wouldn’t judge the project based on FM, but on having stellar radio rig performance. Distance & Clarity as a whole. FM then makes great sense amongst a group. CB can be far more than most realize.

There are inexpensive ways to get on-air from home with temporary set-ups. And this would be the time to stretch and do that if mobile installs are contemplated. Map radius plots of signal acquisition.

Tools & Supply can be shared:

Mobile Install Bible

— The installation that looks forward to more difficult gear in the future isn’t any harder to accomplish.

Given your range of interest (ability to compare), it’d be good to hear from you how this panned out.

Good luck

Last edited: