FM Radio Skip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joseph11

Getting skip on FM radio on and off right now (skip (not tropo) affects FM radio, right?). I was just listening to WMMR from Philly when I hear it fade out and another station come in. I kept on listening and heard them ID as "Tampa Bay's Number 1 Hit Music Station, WFLZ". It was extremely strong. Anyone else getting the same?

gatorhater

That's quite a skip. When I lived in Florida, Ft Myers, once I did pick up an FM station from Tallahassee; WTNT-FM. If the atmosphere is just right, there no telling what you can pick up.

nd5y

Yes sporadic E skip can occur on the FM broadcast band.
If the station is fading in and out fast that is probably what you are hearing.
Tropo signals are a lot more stable than Es.

scover5555

I remember two days back in 1985, we couldn't talk more than 7 - 8 blocks base station to base station on the CB here in Indiana. At the same time all the local FM stations were replaced with staions from Billings MT and Casper WY.

Joseph11

More skip today. Getting WXXZ "KQ95" on 95.3 MHz from Grand Marais, Minnesota.

EDIT: Also getting KQDS-FM on 94.9 MHz from Duluth, Minnesota.

EDIT 2: Just logged KKZY-FM from Bemidji, Minnesota on 95.5 MHz.

EDIT 3: I'm getting a station on 93.1 MHz making references to the "Rainy River District", "Fort Frances", and the "Great Canadian Main Street". Any ideas?

Last edited:

motomeso

Premium Subscriber
Dude that's a good haul from New Jersey, Fort Frances is right on the Ontario / Winnipeg / Michigan border.

Joseph11

I'm quite amazed that I received it. I'm using a Hauppauge WinTV-Radio PCI card and an old TV/FM "rabbit ears" antenna. I also have a 10dB amplifier, so that may have helped. :D

Lremigio

Joseph11 said:
I'm quite amazed that I received it. I'm using a Hauppauge WinTV-Radio PCI card and an old TV/FM "rabbit ears" antenna. I also have a 10dB amplifier, so that may have helped. :D

When conditions are good and tropo exist ,all is possible in VHF and UHF.

Here in Miami ( Fl) usually in spring time we can work Cuba in the 2 meters band when the tropo is present. I remember the past year the tropo was good enought that many guys were working Cuban hams using the regular handheld radios with no more that 5 watts.

And I remember one time in 1998 in 440 Mhz working Cancun in simplex doing packet radio. That was amazing.

Some weeks ago the Glenn Hauser DX report , gave some details from some DXist in Hawai reporting 3 Cuban FM stations. And that was really a long, long way!!

Lionel, WD4LR

Status
Not open for further replies.