Franklin County Fire Dispatch Reception

the_expatriate

Premium Subscriber
My father listens to Franklin County and tells me that for some time now the County fire / ems dispatch sounds like it is playing from a turntable meaning the transmission starts out low volume and hard to understand then seems to pick up speed so it sound normal, but eventually slows and becomes hard to understand. Does this make sense to anyone? He also tells me that he is receiving everything else such as DEC clear as always. I can't tell you what scanner he is using, but I know it would be an older model analog only. Thanks for any input.

k2hz

Database Admin
My father listens to Franklin County and tells me that for some time now the County fire / ems dispatch sounds like it is playing from a turntable meaning the transmission starts out low volume and hard to understand then seems to pick up speed so it sound normal, but eventually slows and becomes hard to understand. Does this make sense to anyone? He also tells me that he is receiving everything else such as DEC clear as always. I can't tell you what scanner he is using, but I know it would be an older model analog only. Thanks for any input.
Franklin County Fire and EMS is a multi-site analog simulcast system so there can be effects from signals from the various towers arriving out of phase at a particular location. So in-phase signals will add and be stronger and 180 degree out of phase signals will tend to cancel.
This can produce sort of fast flutter effect or a slow "wow-wow" sound, sometimes with brief drop outs as the signals alternately add or cancel. In some cases it can be what I can best describe as a "tearing" sound in the audio. Yes, it can sound like playing a warped record or a bad turntable.

The systems are normally adjusted to minimize the effect in the primary coverage area but can be more noticeable if you are outside the county.

the_expatriate

Premium Subscriber
Franklin County Fire and EMS is a multi-site analog simulcast system so there can be effects from signals from the various towers arriving out of phase at a particular location. So in-phase signals will add and be stronger and 180 degree out of phase signals will tend to cancel.
This can produce sort of fast flutter effect or a slow "wow-wow" sound, sometimes with brief drop outs as the signals alternately add or cancel. In some cases it can be what I can best describe as a "tearing" sound in the audio. Yes, it can sound like playing a warped record or a bad turntable.

The systems are normally adjusted to minimize the effect in the primary coverage area but can be more noticeable if you are outside the county.
Thank you. That makes sense. I appreciate you taking the time to explain.

noflipside

I can say that over the last month or so Franklin County dispatch has deteriorated somewhat. Maybe it's my outside antenna etc., but I do get Ray Brooke NYSP(VHF) good. It does fade in and out on occasions but it seems to have fallen off which was not the case in the past. I will check my out side antenna. Located in Duane NY.

k2hz

Database Admin
I can say that over the last month or so Franklin County dispatch has deteriorated somewhat. Maybe it's my outside antenna etc., but I do get Ray Brooke NYSP(VHF) good. It does fade in and out on occasions but it seems to have fallen off which was not the case in the past. I will check my out side antenna. Located in Duane NY.
It is not unusual for reception quality to change in late spring when tree foliage emerges if your antenna is not above the tree line.. With a simulcast system, in addition to increased attenuation, it can change the effects of multipath reception from the various sites.

Ray Brook NYSP and NYSDEC dispatch only transmit over various individual sites and do not usually simulcast like Franklin so the multipath reception is not a problem. I said usually because NYSP occasionally simulcasts multiple sites during their station tests and item review broadcasts and the effect is usually noticeable.

the_expatriate

Premium Subscriber
My father is not far from your location, so it sounds like you are both experiencing the same thing. He says Saranac Lake dispatch is clear. Just the rest of the county.

k2hz

Database Admin
My father is not far from your location, so it sounds like you are both experiencing the same thing. He says Saranac Lake dispatch is clear. Just the rest of the county.
Saranac Lake dispatch is a single site repeater so it would not have the simulcast issues of the County system.