Free programming software

Status
Not open for further replies.

na4it

Anyone know of a scanner software similar to CHIRP? We need one...

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
For what scanner? FreeScan handles many of the Uniden DMA Scanners (well, mostly), Sentinel (various versions) is for the HP series, etc.

Unfortunately the GRE/RS/Whistler models don't have any freeware because, in part, there is a licensing fee for developing software that accesses these scanners. It was mandated originally by GRE, probably the same now for Whistler (since they basically bought the rights to GRE scanners)

Mike

oilmillcharlie

Premium Subscriber
Unfortunately the GRE/RS/Whistler models don't have any freeware because, in part, there is a licensing fee for developing software that accesses these scanners. It was mandated originally by GRE, probably the same now for Whistler (since they basically bought the rights to GRE scanners)

Mike[/QUOTE]
Mile, Whistler has EZscan with a free download from their site. Also Iscan for certain Radio Shack scanners.at Radio Shack.

FreeScan

Anyone know of a scanner software similar to CHIRP? We need one...

FreeSCAN - Sixspot Software

"FreeSCAN, the award-winning Freeware program for programming the Uniden SC230, BC246T, UBC3500XLT, BR330T, BCD396T, BC346XT(C), BCD396XT, BCT15X, BCD996XT, BCT15 and BCD996T, BCD996P2 public safety scanners (The 436 & 536 will not be supported). FreeSCAN allows to download and uploading programming, remote control the scanner, log hits, and supports printing out of systems and groups. It will run on Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7 & 8."

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus

Mike
Mile, Whistler has EZscan with a free download from their site. Also Iscan for certain Radio Shack scanners.at Radio Shack.

As far as I know, EZ Scan is a virtual control app and isn't for programming, which is what the OP is asking for. Mike

garys

Premium Subscriber
If it's similar to what EZ Scan was for the PSR-800, it's similar in function to Uniden Sentinel. It's used to managed and load information into the scanner. It's been a while since I had use of a PSR-800, but I don't recall a virtual control function.

As far as I know, EZ Scan is a virtual control app and isn't for programming, which is what the OP is asking for. Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I *think* we're mixing apples and oranges here, and getting the names confused. I see the EZ-Scan versions for the TRX-1 and 2 (for example), but these are included with the scanners on the dedicated SD card (and I wouldn't call it freeware, either, altho I would grant that because they have it on their website as a free download.....). They're not a third party programming app (in fact there are no third party programming apps for the Whistler / RS / GRE SD scanners), freeware or otherwise

What I was thinking about (and maybe you, too) is here...

https://whistlergroup.com/collectio...-control-demo-for-use-on-whistler-sd-scanners

and interestingly enough, Whistler has released the protocols for the remote as a PDF on that same page (and it's very specific about it) - but NOT for the programming interface...I just skipped through the command set on that page, and nothing there is useable for actually programming the radio with talkgroups, frequencies,etc. Mike

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
So that folks don't get confused - the EZ Scan name applies to several different versions of that software - the one for the PSR-800 is here...

GRE America Inc.

Although I would quibble that the original software is, again, on a SD card that's supplied with the scanner and hardly freeware, since even if you download it from the above, it's only good with the PSR-800. That's hardly 'free' in my book

Mike

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Because the software you use depends on what you are doing.
#1 If you do the mod you only use the Whistler 1080 version of easy scan.
#2 If you are running a stock 668 firmware you can only use the RS version of software.
So to offer the correct answer I was asking so I could offer the correct answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.