Free Scan Programming Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jester519

Hello all

I have a question about using Free Scan Software. I live in Ohio and own a Uniden BCD325P2 scanner. I'm trying to upload the MARCS IP system from Hamilton County. When I use the "Copy From Clipboard" option in the EZ Grab tool, I get the box with the columns of info that I copied. When I Upload Into FreeScan, how do I get it to show the Alpha Tag or Description, instead of the Tag? For instance in the Radio Reference listing for Hamilton County (31) Law Enforcement Talkgroups this shows:

DEC HEX Mode Alpha TagDescriptionTag
21071524fD31 LE EASTEast Law Dispatch Law Dispatch
210725250D31 LE WESTWest Law Dispatch Law Dispatch
210735251D31 LE CENTCentral Law Dispatch Law Dispatch

When I upload the info to FreeScan, all I get is the Tag, which as you can see, are all "Law Dispatch". I would rather it show "31 LE East", or "East Law Dispatch", etc. I have tried changing this in the drop down options when I Copy the info to the Clipboard, but it does not keep it when I upload it. I even tried the drop down options on the initial EZ Grab Screen that says "This field should be treated as:" Any ideas on how I can get it to save things the way I want? Many of the Tags for Hamilton County show "Law Talk" or "Law Tac". How would you ever know what you're listening to unless you know the TGID by heart? I'm sorry if this is long winded, but any help would be greatly appreciated. I figured there would be someone here that is more skilled than I am.

tvengr

Well Known Member
The Tag, Law Dispatch, is the service type which determines what you download from the database. The Alpha Tag is the one that shows on the scanner screen and tells you what the talkgroup is. It sounds like you are mixing up the fields when you download the file. I have an ARC-XT file for Hamilton Co and Cincinnati. If you would like, I can easily convert it to a FreeSCAN file and attach it here for programming your scanner.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Hello all

I have a question about using Free Scan Software. I live in Ohio and own a Uniden BCD325P2 scanner. I'm trying to upload the MARCS IP system from Hamilton County. When I use the "Copy From Clipboard" option in the EZ Grab tool, I get the box with the columns of info that I copied. When I Upload Into FreeScan, how do I get it to show the Alpha Tag or Description, instead of the Tag? For instance in the Radio Reference listing for Hamilton County (31) Law Enforcement Talkgroups this shows:

DECHEXMode Alpha TagDescriptionTag
21071524fD31 LE EASTEast Law DispatchLaw Dispatch
210725250D31 LE WESTWest Law DispatchLaw Dispatch
210735251D31 LE CENTCentral Law DispatchLaw Dispatch

When I upload the info to FreeScan, all I get is the Tag, which as you can see, are all "Law Dispatch". I would rather it show "31 LE East", or "East Law Dispatch", etc. I have tried changing this in the drop down options when I Copy the info to the Clipboard, but it does not keep it when I upload it. I even tried the drop down options on the initial EZ Grab Screen that says "This field should be treated as:" Any ideas on how I can get it to save things the way I want? Many of the Tags for Hamilton County show "Law Talk" or "Law Tac". How would you ever know what you're listening to unless you know the TGID by heart? I'm sorry if this is long winded, but any help would be greatly appreciated. I figured there would be someone here that is more skilled than I am.
Change the Alpha Tag or Description column header to "Display" depending on the column you want to use for the channel names. Change the other two column headers to "Ignore"

Jester519

The Tag, Law Dispatch, is the service type which determines what you download from the database. The Alpha Tag is the one that shows on the scanner screen and tells you what the talkgroup is. It sounds like you are mixing up the fields when you download the file. I have an ARC-XT file for Hamilton Co and Cincinnati. If you would like, I can easily convert it to a FreeSCAN file and attach it here for programming your scanner.

Jester519

Thanks tvengr. If it isn't too much of a problem, I would appreciate the file for Hamilton County and Cincinnati.

Jester519

Change the Alpha Tag or Description column header to "Display" depending on the column you want to use for the channel names. Change the other two column headers to "Ignore"
Thank you ProScan. I'll take another look and see if I overlooked it before.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Thanks tvengr. If it isn't too much of a problem, I would appreciate the file for Hamilton County and Cincinnati.
Here is your file. Save the attached zipped file to your computer and extract. Open the extracted file with FreeSCAN and Upload Programming. Highlight Erase All Systems & Settings and Start Upload.

Attachments

• Hamilton Co OH.zip
    6.3 KB · Views: 19

Jester519

Here is your file. Save the attached zipped file to your computer and extract. Open the extracted file with FreeSCAN and Upload Programming. Highlight Erase All Systems & Settings and Start Upload.
Thank you tvengr. I really appreciate it.

Jester519

I have tried and tried again to change the Alpha Tag column to "Display" and set the Description and Tag columns to "Ignore" when I copy to Clopboard. When I Upload to FreeScan, the info for Tag is shown. I'm using Windows 7 with Chrome Browser. I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not. I have seen notations that Firefox works better with FreeScan. Perhaps that's the reason.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I have tried and tried again to change the Alpha Tag column to "Display" and set the Description and Tag columns to "Ignore" when I copy to Clopboard. When I Upload to FreeScan, the info for Tag is shown. I'm using Windows 7 with Chrome Browser. I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not. I have seen notations that Firefox works better with FreeScan. Perhaps that's the reason.
It seems to work. I use Chrome. It doesn't matter on the browser type as they all are capable of displaying the text.

Basic steps are:
1. Copy to the clipboard
2. Go to the EZ Screen window
3. Click the "1 Copy From Clipboard" button.
4. Select the column headers
5. Click the "2 Import into FreeSCAN
6. Close the window. button 3

EdAzalia

~~~I see Proscan beat me to it~~~
~~~And my freq display is just a sample not your entiries~~~
The browser has nothing to do with it. It's a function of FreeSCAN
Here what you should be seeing - right? After you've "1"Copy from Clipboard.
Then you select "2" Import into FreeSCAN

Attachments

• freescan.jpg
    freescan.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Jester519

Hello again:

I was wondering which program you use to open zip files? I have not been able to open the file by using 7Zip. I have never heard of a 996 file type. I downloaded the Zip File, and dragged it to my Desktop. I opened 7Zip and browsed for the Hamilton Co OH file. I added an Empty folder to my desktop "Extract Here". I highlighted the file in the list and clicked Extract. I get a box that opens and I click on the little box to the right of the drop down menu for "Extract To". That opens a box for "Browse For Folder". I click on the "Extract Here" folder that I created and I should get a box that opens with the download progress bar, but I don't get anything. When I click on the Extract Here Folder I see the Hamilton Co OH.996 File. It will not open the file though. It says Windows can't open the file and needs to know which program I want to use to open the file. Any idea of what I might not be doing or that I am doing wrong. Thanks!!

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
The "*.996" file type, is the file type for FreeSCAN.

If you've already gotten the Hamilton Co OH.996 file out of the downloaded zip file, then that's the one you open in FreeSCAN.

Windows (itself) cannot open the *.996 file type, though you can select the default program for the "Open with" option (when you right click the file) to always use FreeSCAN.

Status
Not open for further replies.