• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Freeband

Status
Not open for further replies.

countryboy879

is the freeband illegal to use? does the fcc really enforce the cb? but i know a couple of people in area have 10 meter rigs and use them for cb and when they want to talk privately they go to another channel not on the 40 channels. please give me info cause i was thinking about getting a 10 meter rig to use for the freeband.

ki4rvh

By freeband I assume you are talking about the area between citizens band and the 10 meter amateur band. Yes it is illegal to use unless you are a licensed/authorized user for a frequency in that area of the band. Civil Air Patrol uses some frequencies in that section of the band in some areas of the country. Military Affiliate Radio Service used to as well. As far as enforcement goes if you are on a frequency that other users are on you could get into big trouble with the FCC. If you are interfering with other users on adjacent frequencies by using a cheap radio and/or a dirty CB amps that splatter all over the other frequencies you could get into trouble. If you are on the 10 meter amateur band depending on where you live there is a good chance of you being tracked down by hams and turned over to the FCC. It has happened here in recent times. The fines can be enormous. We're talking in the $5,000 to $15,000 range.

As simple as the Technician ham test is nowadays I would advise you to just take the ham test. You will have more frequencies than you can ever use. I'll be more than happy to help you work in getting your license and answer any questions you have. Testing for a license cost like $12 to $15 depending on the area of the country you're in. Feel free to PM me.

W6KRU

Excellent post!

By freeband I assume you are talking about the area between citizens band and the 10 meter amateur band. Yes it is illegal to use unless you are a licensed/authorized user for a frequency in that area of the band. Civil Air Patrol uses some frequencies in that section of the band in some areas of the country. Military Affiliate Radio Service used to as well. As far as enforcement goes if you are on a frequency that other users are on you could get into big trouble with the FCC. If you are interfering with other users on adjacent frequencies by using a cheap radio and/or a dirty CB amps that splatter all over the other frequencies you could get into trouble. If you are on the 10 meter amateur band depending on where you live there is a good chance of you being tracked down by hams and turned over to the FCC. It has happened here in recent times. The fines can be enormous. We're talking in the $5,000 to $15,000 range.

As simple as the Technician ham test is nowadays I would advise you to just take the ham test. You will have more frequencies than you can ever use. I'll be more than happy to help you work in getting your license and answer any questions you have. Testing for a license cost like $12 to $15 depending on the area of the country you're in. Feel free to PM me.

You didn't bash. That was the first thing I thought of. :lol:

countryboy879

if i take my test will that cover 10 meters i thought it only covered 2 meter and 440...to start off with?

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The Technician (beginner) Class license gives you CW privileges on the old Novice HF sub bands and voice on the 10M Novice sub band. It also gives FULL privileges above 30MHz so forget about CB unless you like abuse and whatever you do stay off "freeband" because it's anything BUT free should you get caught. Please be reminded there is no such thing as a "10M ham" rig, they're all intended to be modified for CB and there are plenty of illegal radios out there so if CB is your bag stay legal and of course that applies to ham as well. One more thought, if you get busted doing ANYTHING illegal with a radio or are convicted of a felony your FCC license may be forfeit.

Here's something else to consider being it's often overlooked. While the FCC no longer monitors and enforcement is at an all time low they're not the only contenders in the ring. ALL law enforcement right down to your local cops have jurisdiction over unlicensed radio transmitters! When it comes to law enforcement EVERY officer has jurisdiction up to and including the federal level and enforcement is his sworn DUTY. Chew on this, when you do anything illegal with or without a radio you may as well be hitting a hornets nest with a stick, you may get stung by one if you're lucky but you just as well can be stung by all.

Stay legal, stay safe, and enjoy the hobby.

ki4rvh

if i take my test will that cover 10 meters i thought it only covered 2 meter and 440...to start off with?

Yes, A Technician (first test) has voice privileges on 10 meters as well as 2 meter, 220MHz, 440MHz, 900MHz, 1240MHz, and 6 meters. You have 10 meter voice on 28.3 to 28.5 MHz. You get all that as a tech. 10 and 6 are great DX bands when open. If you want to play with code or data there are even more privileges including 15, 40 and 80 meters. The Technician test is easy. My wife studied for 3 evenings and passed it only missing one question. She is not very technical. If you're into radios the test would be a breeze for you.

emd001

Please be reminded there is no such thing as a "10M ham" rig, they're all intended to be modified for CB and there are plenty of illegal radios out there so if CB is your bag stay legal and of course that applies to ham as well.

not only are there 10M ham rigs, i have one in my mobile and my shack and i use 10M almost everyday. When the band is open you can work the world on 5 watts with 10M, i have several contacts in Europe i have made with my 10M mobile unit. 10M is alot of fun when the conditions are right.

wesct

I have several cb radios modified to 10 meters:

(2) Cobra 148gtl
(1) Galaxy dx959
(1) Cobra 2000 (currently working on)
(1) Robyn sb540
(1) President Grant (858 chassis)

Mostly, its a crystal change and a re-tune.
The Galaxy tuned up ok on transmit, but the receive needs some work.
Generally, the radios start at 28.065 and go up from there.
I am currently going to convert a Jc Penny 02a chassis to 10 meter FM for a remote base.

wesct

K2QI

It only takes a little bit of studying and $14 to take a ham test. Do it and don't look back.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
EMD please don't talk down to me like I'm some kind of fool, I wasn't born yesterday. Just because you don't know what I'm talking about is no reason to dispute the facts, rather a reason to ask a question. All mode HF rigs include the 10M band while CB toys are another matter entirely, there is no practical reason for any ham to buy a rig exclusive to one band and so limited in modes of operation (VHF FM mobile excepted). One day you will learn the psychology of advertising and not fall for all the baloney and on that day you shall be enlightened.

Please consider this an open letter to all, there is no place for such foolishness in Amateur Radio so save your money and buy (or build) a real radio. A whole new world will open up for you when you cast off the shackles of your old life on CB and move forward leaving the old world and old ideas behind... I and others did, and found freedom.

Last edited:

emd001

i wasnt talking down to anyone..only correcting your mis information. You may not like the fact that there is the 10m sole rig, nor did i pay for it, it was a gift i graciously accepted during the holidays. Because you do not like the fact that there is a radio for 10M if your opnion. Not a reason for you to steer others away. Advice is good, but only when you present all the facts.

Fast1eddie

I have yet to be dispatched to a "Out of band/CB radio" incident. Not to knock on the brotherhood, but I'll wager your officers do not have a RF background and no measurement or testing equipment to develop and prosecute the case. The local magistrates and judges certainly have no idea of this stuff....and like most cases, a plea deal is agreed upon in the hallway. A halfway decent defense attorney would be able to exploit many avenues here. I think the first tact would be a verbal warning to cease and desist....if it persisted I could see a summary Disorderly Conduct citation, as the conduct in question serves no significant purpose....every state will have a different (but similar) narrative. I could easily see this referred to the Code Enforcement Officer (who is also sworn) and go after the antenna install for code.....

WA4MJF

In NC, the GA passed a law that allows NC officers and courts to enforce the illegal CB operation. The Federal statute only allows states and commonwealths to pass laws to regulate the operation of
CB radios in contravention of Part 95, otherwise they use the CFR. So, Ed, if your state/commonwealth has passed no such law, then you can only use the Federal system, which is a pain in the ass if you're not familiar with it.

Last edited:

Fast1eddie

True!!! I was going to say there is no such provision in the PA Crimes Code that I can recall...maybe if one were to stretch things under a subsection relating to Telecommunications....got me thinking now.....I will have to look that up. I will say some of the rookies I have served with would be lost on this one....I can see it now, I show up and work some DX with the actor....beats breaking up a bar fight with multiple actors with some serious weaponry...

KC8TCQ

True!!! I was going to say there is no such provision in the PA Crimes Code that I can recall...maybe if one were to stretch things under a subsection relating to Telecommunications....got me thinking now.....I will have to look that up. I will say some of the rookies I have served with would be lost on this one....I can see it now, I show up and work some DX with the actor....beats breaking up a bar fight with multiple actors with some serious weaponry...

A few years back, rules/regs were established that allowed local governments to enact/enforce laws that mirror the fcc's regulatons re: CB radios. They already have the authority to prosecute for interfering with public service communications (a felony).

zz0468

QRT
Banned
emd001 said:
not only are there 10M ham rigs, i have one in my mobile and my shack and i use 10M almost everyday. When the band is open you can work the world on 5 watts with 10M, i have several contacts in Europe i have made with my 10M mobile unit. 10M is alot of fun when the conditions are right.

Uniden manufactured the 10 meter single band radios sold under the President name brand, as well as those marketed by Radio Shack, and even under their own brand. They're quite decent little radios that have proven to be popular with the VHF/UHF and microwave weak signal crowd, who use them as the IF radio for their transverters. I have several. Perhaps I'm the only ham who's copied his own echos off the moon using a President HR-2510 driving a 10 GHz transverter and a 50 watt traveling wave tube.

cadillacdude1975

Premium Subscriber
i dont think it is illegal to own a freeband radio. wait, i mean an actual 10 or 12 meter radio as long as you dont key it up. i may be wrong on that though. the freeband radios are more ocmmonly known as the Super Star, Galaxy, Ranger, Connex, Magnum and a few others.

k8mcn

EMD please don't talk down to me like I'm some kind of fool, I wasn't born yesterday. Just because you don't know what I'm talking about is no reason to dispute the facts, rather a reason to ask a question. All mode HF rigs include the 10M band while CB toys are another matter entirely, there is no practical reason for any ham to buy a rig exclusive to one band and so limited in modes of operation (VHF FM mobile excepted). One day you will learn the psychology of advertising and not fall for all the baloney and on that day you shall be enlightened.

Please consider this an open letter to all, there is no place for such foolishness in Amateur Radio so save your money and buy (or build) a real radio. A whole new world will open up for you when you cast off the shackles of your old life on CB and move forward leaving the old world and old ideas behind... I and others did, and found freedom.

Warren, in no way am backing freebanders or out of band transmitting, but must take issue that there are "NO" 10 meter amateur rigs made---maybe not anymore, but the Radio shack series of 10 meter rigs were intended for and marketed to the amateur community, and if i remember correctly, they were not able to be converted to out of band use.

C

cqcqcq

FREEBAND is illegal, but I have heard people on it for over 20 plus years, and guess what I still hear them, when skip is in it is loaded on every chnl. Ten meters is fun when it opens up<some day>.

cqcqcq

JayMojave

Hello Countryboy 879:

Yes the freeband is illlegal to use. The frequencies below channel 1 usually AM Mode. And the frequencies above channel 40 usually LSB or USB for forign stations.

The freeband use and other CB violations may have been helped from a unfriendly ham radio fraternity that turned many people off to Ham Radio. And the Morse Code License requirment that should have beed discontiuned when the telephone was invented. A real shame.

Anyway Ten Meters is open to the Tech Lic, 28.300 to 28.500 USB. Next time the skip conditions are ah rolling in listen in these ten Meter frequencies, like aroung 28.385 to 28.415 Mc for some lower power stations having a ball. Hope to see there.

Jay in the Mojave

Status
Not open for further replies.