Unitrunker Freeing Up Space

KI5IRE

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jun 28, 2016
Messages
615
Reaction score
119
Location
Houston
My Unitrunker files have become extremely bloated to the point where I am now out of space on my logging computers hard drive.

What is the best way to free up some space without losing logging data and history on the unit IDs and talkgroup hit history?

I have a ton of backups saved in the software as well.
 

KI5IRE

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jun 28, 2016
Messages
615
Reaction score
119
Location
Houston
We not start by deleting some of the older backups?
I was not sure if that would cause me to lose any of the data in my latest backup or history in general for some reason. If not, I will try that and see how much space it frees up.
 

dave3825

* * * * * * * * * * * *
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Feb 17, 2003
Messages
10,911
Reaction score
6,447
Location
Suffolk County NY
Well any data in older backups that's not in newer backups would be lost.


How did you do the backups? I made back ups of the UT working folder and they were quite large. So when I make new back up, if everything is working well, I delete the former backup.

1789848979146.png
 

KI5IRE

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jun 28, 2016
Messages
615
Reaction score
119
Location
Houston
Well any data in older backups that's not in newer backups would be lost.


How did you do the backups? I made back ups of the UT working folder and they were quite large. So when I make new back up, if everything is working well, I delete the former backup.

View attachment 207069
when I make my backup in the archive tab I usually make sure that the file size is a larger number than the previous version.

So based on how you explained it, definitely makes me believe if I delete some of those I will probably free up a large chunk of memory.

I will try tonight.

Thank you for the help Dave, much appreciated!
 

dave3825

* * * * * * * * * * * *
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Feb 17, 2003
Messages
10,911
Reaction score
6,447
Location
Suffolk County NY
Before you empty the recycling bin, make sure the data you wish to retain is still available in UT.
 

KI5IRE

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jun 28, 2016
Messages
615
Reaction score
119
Location
Houston
After pulling up app data/roaming folder, it appears the folders random names are relatively large, sitting at 40+ GB. Inside are a bunch of files named "DecodeVcA-xxxxxxxxx.log" etc.

Are these important to the type of data I am hoping to keep?

Screenshot below for reference.Screenshot 2026-09-19 175737.png
 

maus92

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jun 23, 2004
Messages
8,913
Reaction score
2,668
Location
Eastern Shore
Those are decode logs used for troubleshooting - there is no reason to retain those if you are not diagnosing a problem. You can disable decode logging in the Radio tab and the VFO tab. Each Radio (sdr) and each VFO of the sdr has a Logging property which you can toggle to True or False. This will not affect the data that Untrunker displays in its front-end functions. The logs document the "behind the scenes" operations of the program.
 

dave3825

* * * * * * * * * * * *
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Feb 17, 2003
Messages
10,911
Reaction score
6,447
Location
Suffolk County NY
DecodeVcoA-xxxxxxxx.log = control channel vfo logging set to on.
DecodeVcoB-xxxxxxxx.log = first voice vfo logging set to on.
So on , and so fourth.

I never used logging unless there was issues and Rick requested them to troubleshoot. If you had those on for long time, and were manually backing up your UT working folder, then your back ups are larger than they need to be. Meaning delete those DecodeVco logs, make new backup, verify all is good, then delete all older backups if the new has the data you wish to preserve.

In UT root directory, search DecodeVco. It will find all decode logs for signal and voice vco's.

1789871717464.png


After search completes, delete all DecodeVco files. There may be other log files to safely delete.


1789871751957.png



As with anything else, always make back up first before changing/deleting stuff.





when I make my backup in the archive tab I usually make sure that the file size is a larger number than the previous version.

You can set that up for auto.

1789872531688.png
 
Top