Freq Jamming

Status
Not open for further replies.

KCoax

Premium Subscriber
Found this news story rather concerning. Hopefully, this won't become a new trend.

Independence man's livelihood stolen within minutes during Ring outage

INDEPENDENCE, Mo. — An Independence man is asking for help to recover thousands of dollars worth of stolen lawn care business equipment.
"I worked real hard every year to try and buy a new item or update my equipment every year," Roy Ross said.
Within minutes Oct. 30, thieves stole it all from outside of Ross' home.
The equipment was locked and covered. Ross even had his Ring security camera pointed at the tools, but it inexplicably went dark for an hour on the morning his livelihood disappeared.
Video shows Ross' wife, Theresa, leaving for work at 6:46 a.m. Several seconds later, the camera feed shuts off.
When the video feed returns at 7:51 a.m., Ross' truck, trailer and all of his lawn care equipment was gone.
Ring cameras belonging to neighbors in the area also turned off during the theft.
"I thought I had enough precautions to keep thieves from stealing it, and I was wrong," Ross said.
Among the tools stolen were two orange Bad Boy riding mowers, a red Bradley riding mower, a Honda push mower and a black trailer.
"This is our livelihood," Ross' wife, Theresa, said. "It affects everything. We still have to pay bills. We have to make our mortgage, like everyone else."
Ross' family has set up a GoFundMe account to help him buy new equipment, so he can continue his business.
Right now, he is using an old mower he kept in storage and borrowing equipment from other people.
Anyone with information about the theft is asked to call Independence Police Department at 816-325-7300.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Pretty trivial to jam the wifi networks. I have stuff here in my lab, if cobbled together could do that. Somebody really planned this heist.

prcguy

It takes an amount of stuff to jam WiFi effectively and you have to know what band they are on at the very least. You can sweep jam with minimal power but for broad band noise jamming it takes a lot of power.

There are ways to disable everything on someones WiFi system with a $15 piece of hardware. It tosses off all computers, phones, tablets, Ring doorbells, cameras, everything. Works like a champ and I showed one to my local neighborhood watch lead by walking up to her door, pressing the Ring doorbell and none of her cameras or Ring worked. Take one of these on a plane flight and you can ruin the on board entertainment for 200+ people. I'm surprised more thieves don't know how to do this.

Pretty trivial to jam the wifi networks. I have stuff here in my lab, if cobbled together could do that. Somebody really planned this heist.

RFI-EMI-GUY

It takes an amount of stuff to jam WiFi effectively and you have to know what band they are on at the very least. You can sweep jam with minimal power but for broad band noise jamming it takes a lot of power.

There are ways to disable everything on someones WiFi system with a $15 piece of hardware. It tosses off all computers, phones, tablets, Ring doorbells, cameras, everything. Works like a champ and I showed one to my local neighborhood watch lead by walking up to her door, pressing the Ring doorbell and none of her cameras or Ring worked. Take one of these on a plane flight and you can ruin the on board entertainment for 200+ people. I'm surprised more thieves don't know how to do this.

Whats the $15 gadget?

My 40 Watt Q-BIT/REMEC QBS-275 Class A amplifier 2400-2450 MHz , my DDS programmable sweeper, my DICO pyramidal horn. I would say that could be disruptive for the entire block. I will test it pointing toward whoever has the "FBI Surveillance Van" BSID.

Last edited:

prcguy

The $15 gadget is apparently not widely known and I don't want to promote bad behavior, so you'll have to do some research. The 40 watt 2.4Ghz amp won't do much for all the people on 5.8GHz.

Whats the $15 gadget?

My 40 Watt Q-BIT/REMEC QBS-275 Class A amplifier 2400-2450 MHz , my DDS programmable sweeper, my DICO pyramidal horn. I would say that could be disruptive for the entire block. I will test it pointing toward whoever has the "FBI Surveillance Van" BSID.

Golay

I don't know much about Ring cameras/doorbells. But I'm wondering if there's a way via the USB port on the back to fetch video?
There must be some storage in it, maybe not.

bharvey2

I have a Ring doorbell and don't believe there is any video storage in the unit.

I don't believe the Ring doorbells maintain onboard storage (except enough to handle buffering) I'm pretty sure they upload to Ring's servers for those that choose to pay for the service.

Screwing up wi fi is a pretty easy task. As you mentioned, there are cheap devices that can be found online as well as programs for those engaged in pen-testing and such. This is one reason I much prefer wired security cameras or other networked devices.

RFI-EMI-GUY

The $15 gadget is apparently not widely known and I don't want to promote bad behavior, so you'll have to do some research. The 40 watt 2.4Ghz amp won't do much for all the people on 5.8GHz.

Well that gadget wasn't hard to find.

RFI-EMI-GUY

So now you know its not really jamming but tossing everyone out of the pool. For $15 you get one with a web site over WiFi that you control frpm your phone. Its especially evil and after tossing everyone out it can replicate and flood an SSID with 100 copies of itself that nothing can connect back to.

I can be like Mr. Robot pwning and such to overthrow Evil Corp.

Status
Not open for further replies.