Frequency Counter

Status
Not open for further replies.

nodak1crdet3

Haha, yeah I kept hearing some electrical interference near one of the outlets and could not figure out what was going on using my current scanners as it would go on and off intermittently. I assume the scope was above 3ghz as it would show before bottoming out.

Nevertheless, it was so annoying that I put a hole in the drywall to find this buzzing noise, and found one of those wireless keyfinder device transmitters you use for locating lost keys that I bought a year or so ago. It wasnt transmitting, but the battery was near dead so it would vibrate erratically, and it just happened to be located beneath the outlet lol.

You see there were a few crack in the drywall from falling into the door a while ago, and the knob messed up the wall, so we replaced it a few months back, and some how one of my gizmos was apparently kicked in there before sealing up the new one. This time I will just patch it up, but that was annoying lol.

W2NJS

It looks as if this thread is talking about two different types of counters depending on the various answers. On this forum we would be primarily concerned with frequency counters that are used in conjunction with servicing two-way radios. The other type of "counter" would be an anti-bugging device used to find hidden transmitter "bugs" in a room. These two kinds of devices are dissimilar in several ways. The radio counter usually goes only to 1500 mHz, whereas the anti-bugging devices go higher by a substantial amount. Also, the sensitivity of the anti-bugging units has to be much higher than the radio service units because the hidden transmitters are usually transmitting much lower power levels than you get from a two-way radio. They are really two different animals, and in some anti-bugging units I've seen there is no frequency readout, just a red LED that flashes when a signal is picked up.

ff-medic

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The Appalachians - Next to the tent and campfire.
Anyone know of a company that sells a handheld frequency counter with a digital lcd readout for 1mhz-6ghz range?

Basically
6 GHz Personal RF Detector - KGB Spy Gear
with
Counter Spy - Sweep Your Home In Seconds For Any Frequencies

I assume someone around here knows of a website that sells them for under 500usd.

Get the best of both worlds, unless you are trained for counter surveillance ( the guy a few years back whom by coincidence found the FBI Bug in his office ) don't worry about bug sweeps. In any event, SOME bugs will interfere with other appliances and radios, and some will leave an " IMAGE" on hand scanners. Unless Joe Schmoe put it there, a professional Law Enforemcent Agency could very well have - if so, It ( the bug ) should have a serial number ; if I am not misinformed that number is registered with the state attorney generals office, or the Federal Attorney general / Inspector generals office.

Don't worry about counter surveillance, CAUSE if you do it wrong you could = 1) Get yourself in more trouble. 2) dig yourself deeper " In a ditch" so to speak. 3) Or completely screw up, making those listening in you you to raise their guard higher, making them more aggressive and cunning. 4) You are one. THEY may be many, so the outsmart them theroy is in the mud. 4) Don't prove, or go on a witch hunt for "Bugs" , trust your gut and yourt instinct. If you belive so, then MAYBE it is true.

Worry about frequency counters for listening to radio waves. Get a hand scanner with "Close Call", or similar scanner with RF capture technology such as "Signal Stalker". Punch a key, get the transmitting frequency and the PL / DPL with the push of a button. There are some great scnners out there that capture RF frequencys near and far. Here is a popular one = BCD396T Compact Handheld Scanner - Scanners at Uniden

Info = Signal stalker - The RadioReference Wiki

Uniden Close Call - The RadioReference Wiki

FF - Medic !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.