Frequency Files

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaluaone

Feed Provider
is there a site that people can post their frequency files for download by other users?

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Radio Reference is the most comprehensive listing of shared frequencies that can be found on the internet. There are a few other sites such as Monix and Citywide, but they can only be copied from a pdf or some other file format. Depending on your model of scanner, you can download frequencies directly into your radio from the RR database using the import function. In order for others to download your frequencies, they must be verified and submitted into the database for them to import. But, you'd be hard-pressed to submit a frequency that is not already in the database. If, by chance, a frequency submitted is not in the database, once it is verified and listed it can be downloaded by others.

kaluaone

Feed Provider
Right this is true. But Yahoo groups, which have been stopped, we were able to post files, for example , for the PRO 106 by other users who have already put together a file for their area. Hence, download the file and upload directly into the scanner, in this case via WIN500. Some people had put together files like I75 south to the state line or I70 west and so on. it made it handy to just do an upload without going through the RR files.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Right this is true. But Yahoo groups, which have been stopped, we were able to post files, for example , for the PRO 106 by other users who have already put together a file for their area. Hence, download the file and upload directly into the scanner, in this case via WIN500. Some people had put together files like I75 south to the state line or I70 west and so on. it made it handy to just do an upload without going through the RR files.
Some of the regional Yahoo groups moved over to Groups.io, but others simply faded away, like the Yahoo group for the DFW area. I'm not on Facebook, but I have seen mentions of groups on that platform. Many of the Yahoo groups had a folder where programming or frequency files could be uploaded.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
RadioReference has pretty much rendered the concept of sharing scanlists obsolete. There's really not much value to the concept anyway, given the diversity of interests among scanner users, and the fact that one's location has a major effect on what systems and sites are within reception range.

Being able to roll your own lists from easily dowloaded data is far better than being dependent on others to make lists for you.

kaluaone

Feed Provider
I agree in part, but when traveling, having someone in the area you might be going to is far more reliable than downloading all the info you think might be active. The person providing the file will know what is active and not. I have found this to be a reliable alternative.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I agree in part, but when traveling, having someone in the area you might be going to is far more reliable than downloading all the info you think might be active. The person providing the file will know what is active and not. I have found this to be a reliable alternative.

Sure, but only when you have that luxury. Otherwise, you are usually on your own so it is very beneficial to streamline your research. I learned so much making pre-trip lists when on RV journeys. Storing frequencies and lists related to geographical locations, interstate mile markers, zip codes, and county systems is a great way to go if you have the patience for it. For example, on a recent excursion to Alaska, it took me probably 2 months of pre-trip analysis and research to load my scanner with the relevant systems and frequencies to coordinate with my travels and stops. As a curiosity, I took two SDS scanners and had one running on a Uniden gps locator. I liked my old-school system better :)

danesgs

I tend to lean toward getting info here. With so many sites and changes occurring at any given time it will be likely you will find any new frequencies or changes to old frequencies here instead of a casual user who has perhaps not updated his/her info in months. RR is well worth the subscriber fee and technical experience shared here along with potential changes to systems coming from the horses mouth so to speak.

I am sure some of the members here are also county, state or federal radio systems techs or know people personally who are in certain areas.

Just IMHO

KJ4DGE

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Yeah no. Things don't get added to the database unless someone confirms they are active, and expecting to find local gurus covering every 10-mile segment of an arbitrary interstate road trip willing to share their personal scan files with you in a format compatible with your scanner model is a pipe dream.

kaluaone

Feed Provider
Your Opinion! You act like this isn't possible. But it has been. In the past sharing, of information on the Yahoo groups was great. So No, it isn't a pipe dream!

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
What are you looking for that is NOT directly available from radio reference? Ada village and Hardin County analog are downloadable directly to csv files, MARCS-IP is also available, though best programmed from Sentinel or Proscan. AEP is also a P25 available through the above methods. For ham stuff, you are probably better talking to the local club or checking repeaterbook (direct downloadable as well). I'm still not understand what isn't available to you.

If there is stuff you have that isn't listed, please, provide the information to a database admin so it can be added.

kaluaone

Feed Provider
I broadcast Digital for Hardin county. I use WIN500 for all my downloads. I appreciate your info, I am well versed in Digital radio systems. I guess I'm confusing people on what I am looking for. Therefore I will just let the dog lay.
Thanks all for your inputs.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I would suggest that you take your files, zip them up and post them in the appropriate regional forum.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Yeah people send files back and forth here in the forum if someone requests help for a certain locale and gets lucky enough for someone in that area to respond that's willing to share information that someone isn't able to organize themselves. But, let's say you are planning a trip along an interstate or highway, it proves more difficult to get a response for a particular stretch of road, state or county from anyone that has the ways and means to provide you with frequencies. Which is why I opt to do it myself with the information at hand. I use a few sources other than RR (which, of course, is the main source) such as interceptradio, fordyce, digital frequency search, scannner frequencies dot com, etc. There are other sources out there, including the official FCC ULS Licensing System. You just have to know where to look.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
I use a few sources other than RR (which, of course, is the main source) such as interceptradio, fordyce, digital frequency search, scannner frequencies dot com, etc. There are other sources out there, including the official FCC ULS Licensing System. You just have to know where to look.
antennasearch.com is another good resource to use if "on the road" to drill down licensees based on tower & antenna sites on a map but it can be tough at times to weed out the long expired licenses to determine what's still in use but there's no way to verify what has or hasn't already been identified in RR database without manually searching each callsign, frequency, etc in their respective state's DB page

Last edited:

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Your Opinion! You act like this isn't possible. But it has been. In the past sharing, of information on the Yahoo groups was great. So No, it isn't a pipe dream!
OK, where would I go other than the RR database to get a programming file (or set of files) for a SDS100 that covers everything public safety related along the 3 shortest routes between Martinsburg, WV and Vacaville, CA? I'd need dozens of local gurus to cover the routes in their entirety, and would most likely end up with an incomplete patchwork of stuff with a bunch of gaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.