• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Frequency question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Farmerjoe47

I'm new here, got an important question.

I need to know what is the safest vhf frequency to use as an amateur with one of the Baofeng radios?

Please don't beat me up. I just found out it's illegal, I should stop doing it immediately but right now it's our only way to communicate.

I'm a farmer. Moving equipment down the road around curves over hills is our biggest problem. We have to use handhelds. The midland gmrs don't have enough power and uhf doesn't work as good.

I'm looking into business radios and the vhf business band that might work, but for now what's the safest vhf frequency I won't be on with police ,ems, etc?

Seems I read 144-148 is the amateur range. I've never heard another person since I've had these and I'll repeat again I'm getting off these ASAP just is these a safest frequency to use for now?

Thanks

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
In order to transmit on amateur radio frequencies, you are required by FCC rules to have an amateur radio license.

If you do not have an amateur radio license, please do not transmit on amateur radio frequencies.

Farmerjoe47

Thank you very much.

Guess I should've figured out MURS was the safest frequency range

Like I said I know I must have a license but until I can get different radios I've got to make out with what I've got.

I was in no way wanting any encouragement and I'll be off of them ASAP.

Thanks again

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Thanks for asking. Often people with those radios just pick a random frequency and start using them. That can sometimes lead to issues as it can interfere with legal/licensed users. Just because you do not hear anyone doesn't mean they are not there. Lots of settings in these radios can keep you from hearing other traffic.

Each radio service has technical requirements set by the FCC. The radios would need to have approval to transmit on those radio services. FCC refers to that as "Type Certification". A lot of these low tier Chinese radios do not have type certification for use anywhere other than the amateur radio bands.
Getting a commercial/business license from the FCC is a good idea, but these radios may not meet the requirements. If you go that route, you not only have to consider the cost of the licensing, which isn't a lot, you also need to consider the cost of buying new radios.

While not legal on MURS, you are unlikely to cause interference to any critical communications on those frequencies. Give these radios a try. If they work out well, consider sticking with MURS and get some proper MURS radios. They'll cost more, but the higher quality will mean they'll work better and last longer. It would be a good investment if you need them frequently.

Farmerjoe47

Thanks for the info.

Yea, I didn't realize what I was buying, just saw the Baofeng 8 watt 2 way radio and they've worked pretty good. Then I came across that I can't use these like I have been.

I've done some reading and it looks like the MURS radios are limited to 2 watts. Won't I see a drop off in range going from 8 to 2 watt radios?

I understand they are probably my best option. You said they'll work better. Didn't know if that meant just better build quality or if the MURS radios will actually outperform my current ones.

I definitely don't want to interfere with anything and that's why I joined and asked the question.

Thanks

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I've done some reading and it looks like the MURS radios are limited to 2 watts. Won't I see a drop off in range going from 8 to 2 watt radios?

I understand they are probably my best option. You said they'll work better. Didn't know if that meant just better build quality or if the MURS radios will actually outperform my current ones.

RF power output doesn't impact range as much as many think. Going from 2 watts to 8 watts will give you some more range, but don't expect wonders.
Many of these low end Chinese radios don't put out the amount of power that is advertised. 8 watts is a lot for a small radio, and not entirely safe for the end user. What it does do well is drain your battery faster.

A higher quality VHF radio with a good antenna will work well. While the transmitter is important, the receiver at the far end matters too. In other words, doesn't matter how loud you can yell. If the person you are calling is deaf, it won't matter. Cheap radios often have cheap receivers.

merlin

MURS being your best option, even that requires a station license and limit to immediate family.
Easy license to get. The power limit is 2 watt and running 4 watt, no one will notice.
8 watt baufeng's,,show me one that does better than 5 watts and bring a few charged batteries with.
That extra couple watts won't improve things much.
I set my brother up with a mobile Icom w/MURS, 1/4 wave magnet mount. He hears my UV5R 3 miles in a suburb, he says very good. I wouldn't expect much more range than that with 4 watts.

Farmerjoe47

Thanks for all the info. I'll be ordering MURS radios but for now 1 more question.

Do I need to use 1 of the 5 designated MURS frequencies I found listed online... or can I just program and random frequency such as 152.222 within the MURS range of 151-154 and use it?

DeoVindice

P25 Underground
Thanks for all the info. I'll be ordering MURS radios but for now 1 more question.

Do I need to use 1 of the 5 designated MURS frequencies I found listed online... or can I just program and random frequency such as 152.222 within the MURS range of 151-154 and use it?

Use one of the MURS frequencies. They're mixed in with licensed industrial/business frequencies so you could end up stepping on a licensed user if you select a non-MURS frequency at random.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Right, there are only discrete 5 MURS channels. It's not a band of frequencies like on amateur radio. You also need to program them for narrow band.

Ritron makes some really nice MURS radios. My brother in law is using these with his tower crews. They are not cheap, but they are high quality radios backed up by a reputable company and will outlast the Chinese junk by a long ways.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
One thing to consider for future use, you can apply for itinerant business licenses. Your use is actually one of the things I use mine for (though my license is listed under my communications company of which the agricultural LLC is a subsidiary of the comms company).

Just as an example though, I applied for and licensed 8 VHF itinerants at 35W of power. I also have UHF itinerants which I let several of my friends use for their custom stripping/harvesting operations.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
You also need to program them for narrow band.

Three are narrow and two are wide, right? But not the 'standard' bandwidths of 12.5 and 25?

(From the FCC website)
Channels

There are five MURS channels and the channels are either 11.25 kHz or 20.00 kHz each. The channel frequencies and (bandwidth) are:

151.820 MHz (11.25 kHz)
151.880 MHz (11.25 kHz)
151.940 MHz (11.25 kHz)
154.570 MHz (20.00 kHz)
154.600 MHz (20.00 kHz)

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Set the first 3 channels to narrow. Set the second 2 channels to wide.

There is a difference between the occupied bandwidth of the transmission and the channel bandwidth. The channels are wider so that there is a bit of room so adjacent channels don't interfere with each other.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
What about the DTR-700 radios in the no license 900 MHz ISM band? Digital, 50 channels, Motorola quality, and spread spectrum frequency hopping for privacy.

Status
Not open for further replies.