Yaesu: Fusion/C4FM Mobile Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caesar

Premium Subscriber
We just got a fusion repeater up in my town and I want to purchase a radio so I can use it.
While I would like to get the FTM-300 or FTM-400, the 300 isn't out yet and the 400 is out of stock most places and expensive.
I only need VHF but would like a dual band. I'm looking at the following:
FTM-100DR ($285)
FTM-7250 ($209)
FTM-3200 ($145)
I am only looking for a mobile currently. I like all 3 models and from what I've read they can all do Fusion-II. I'm not 100% about the differences between Wires-X access vs node ability. As you can see all the prices are pretty close. other than the 3200 being VHF only does anyone have first hand experience with these radios or know of any big differences between them that should sway me towards one or the other?
Thanks!

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I am familiar with the FTM-400 and none of the others. What I can tell you is that of the three you are looking at, the FTM-100DR can be a PDN (Personal Digital Node). This means that using a particular cable (which may be included), a Windows computer, and the free Wires-X software, you can use the FTM-100DR to directly access the Wires-X network, after registering your FTM-100 radio and its unique ID (for free). This opens up your access to numerous Yaesu Fusion repeaters, rooms and nodes like yours around the world via the Wires-X network, as well as access your local Yaesu repeater.

Now, your local repeater may be steerable, so you could direct it to connect to other nodes/rooms/repeaters but you are sharing it with others local to you and someone else may have it pointed elsewhere...or the repeater owner may have it locked so that it cannot be steered/connected with another room/node/repeater.

If none of that interests you, or you're going to use the mobile in a vehicle then perhaps get the dual band FTM-7250. This way you will not regret purchasing a single band radio later.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
I have first hand experience with the FTM-400, FTM-100 and the FTM-3200. The 400 is the most versatile, but as you indicate the most expensive. The 3200 is quite basic, but works well and you can't beat the price. The 100 falls in between. First the 3200. It is a basic 2 meter analog and Fusion radio. It lacks a GPS so other Fusion stations won't get your location. They will get your call sign and it can access Fusion rooms etc. The 100 is dual band which is nice. It does have a GPS and can be programed with a micro SD card. The same with the 400, but it is a true dual band (2 Vfo's). It only does Fusion on Band A however. The 100 and the 400 can be set up as node stations with the addition of the HRI-200 box and a computer running Wires-X. That's how I use my 400. However, you want a mobile. I'd say get the 100. More features than the 3200 and the 7250 and it has a remote control head for mobile.

Wires-X is going to require your repeater to have internet access or for someone to set up a node station running Wire-X. Without getting into a lot of detail, The node station is the access point for users of the repeater to talk to connect to other System Fusion rooms. Thus, my FTM-400 listens to the repeater and if some one wants to connect to a fusion room it handles the internet interface with the HRI-200 box and the computer to make the required internet connection. Repeaters can be directly connected to Wires-X. In our case I provide the node. Simpler to have it at my house than to drive up in the mountains if there is a problem. I use a 3200 to talk on the repeater since the node station is only an interface.

There only needs to be one node for a repeater. If your system already has one, you only need a fusion radio to connect. You can easily do that mobile.

Look at www.hamoperator.com for lots of info on System Fusion and Wires-X.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I can confirm the FTM-400 does not require an HRI-200 unless one wants to have a "room" on the network. It works fine as a node with the proper cable. I believe the FTM-100 is the same, but I am unsure as I do not have one.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
I can confirm the FTM-400 does not require an HRI-200 unless one wants to have a "room" on the network. It works fine as a node with the proper cable. I believe the FTM-100 is the same, but I am unsure as I do not have one.
This is all correct. You can also use the FT2 and FT3 with a cable and a computer running Wires-X. I've done this while traveling. However, the question was directed to mobile operation. I have gone mobile with a hotspot and a cell phone internet connection, but it's not ideal. Mobile operation is going to require a C4FM repeater with a node station. That way you don't need anything other than your radio.

GearJammersc

FTM3200 been discontinued but still available at the moment until they run there stock out. Gigaparts has none and told me there wasn't no replacement for that radio yet. HRO as some in stock.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.