• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

G1 pager, is it worth it?

W2SOX

Premium Subscriber
I am thinking about purchasing a G1 to replace my Minitor VI that is issued by my department...

It seems like my Minitor is always needing to be recharged, even with a new battery. How comparable is the battery life? Also wondering what is the better performing unit when it comes to sensitivity and receive.

I know there are way more features with the G1 and I would also like use it to scan as well.

Thanks!

steve9570

Member WSAG-457 -KB1-KZW- KCP-2441 CB-WA1-BZG
Premium Subscriber
I have both. The G1 is a little bigger with more features . The Minitor is easy to use and I find it a little more clearer audio wise. I have no problems with it charging or holding a charge I go a few days with out having to charge it. Yours may be a little tired at this stage. Like i said I use both and do like the smaller size of the Minitor. If you dont need to scan more that 5 channels I would stick with a Minitor. Just my opinion... Steve

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
I have the G1 and Minitor V ... day to day ... the Minitor V is the pager of choice (other than the Unication G3, which beats them both).

fireman_dude

Premium Subscriber
I have the G1 for several years now. I purchased it when my Dept threatened to take my minitor away due to low response percentage. I must say I am pleased with it. The only complaint I have is that it takes a long time to delete voice messages. A word of advice is to purchase the Eneloop batteries. The batteries that Unication recommends have always given me errors. No problems with the Eneloop.

W2SOX

Premium Subscriber
I have the G1 for several years now. I purchased it when my Dept threatened to take my minitor away due to low response percentage. I must say I am pleased with it. The only complaint I have is that it takes a long time to delete voice messages. A word of advice is to purchase the Eneloop batteries. The batteries that Unication recommends have always given me errors. No problems with the Eneloop.
I ended up purchasing one, and I’m loving it. I have the programming cradle on its way. Lots of guys were checking it out and were pretty impressed with the features it has for the about the same price as the minitors!