• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

G5 connecting to PPS

fire1429

Sorry if there is already a thread for this issue but I have two G5's Both have Firmware Version 2.02 using PPS 4.0 both pagers were working correctly for about a month or so. I wanted to make some changes to some talk groups so I made the change in PPS and went to write to both pagers. The first pager connected to PPS flawlessly and programmed just fine. When I went to connect to my second pager the PPS won't recognize the pager at all. I am confused as to why this is happening because everything was fine when I first programmed and updated both pagers to 2.02. Anyone have an idea why this is happening your help is greatly appreciated.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Sorry if there is already a thread for this issue but I have two G5's Both have Firmware Version 2.02 using PPS 4.0 both pagers were working correctly for about a month or so. I wanted to make some changes to some talk groups so I made the change in PPS and went to write to both pagers. The first pager connected to PPS flawlessly and programmed just fine. When I went to connect to my second pager the PPS won't recognize the pager at all. I am confused as to why this is happening because everything was fine when I first programmed and updated both pagers to 2.02. Anyone have an idea why this is happening your help is greatly appreciated.

Could be an issue with the cable, the USB port, the driver, and several other things. You didn't give us much information on what you did to get the one working and not the other, or what diagnostics you did to trouble shoot the issue.

The more info you give us the better we can help you.

fire1429

They both were working fine, they both took the new update perfect. I rebuilt the code plug from the ground up on PPS 4.0 for both pagers. Both pagers programmed perfectly fine with new code plugs. I made changes to the code plugs about a month later and went to write to pagers but only one pager would connect to PPS. I'm running windows 11 computer with new 4.0 pps and v2.02 on both pagers. I don't think it's a cable problem cause 1 of the 2 pagers connects perfectly fine. When the computer connects to the pager that works it reads "unication usb Ethernet/RNDIS #2 in device manager-network adapters. When I plug in second pager that won't connect, nothing come up under device manger. As per diagnostics to trouble shoot, I did try another cable, but same issue cable works with one pager but not the other. I don't have previous Versions of firmware or PPS to try and revert back out of 4.0.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Based on that I would suggest 2 things @fire1429, first disconnect all cables, close PPS, and restart computer, then try again with the pager that would not connect. If that doesn't work try reinstalling the driver and try connecting to the pager that would not connect.

fire1429

Based on that I would suggest 2 things @fire1429, first disconnect all cables, close PPS, and restart computer, then try again with the pager that would not connect. If that doesn't work try reinstalling the driver and try connecting to the pager that would not connect.
I will try this I am currently attempting to do a hard reset on it.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Was gonna suggest a battery pull of the unit that wont program. I do that before i would power cycle computer or swap cables and stuff. All of that worked with the first unit so you know it all worked good.

Snibble

Premium Subscriber
All I can do is commiserate. I have two G5s (2.02) that I've been experimenting with for a month or so...have programmed both multiple times with PPS 0.4.0.39 using a couple of different cables. Suddenly last week, one started refusing to connect, but the other would. Then after another few days, the second one wouldn't connect either.
I contacted Ray's for advice and they gave the standard "Are you using the cable that came with the units? Some USB cables are only for power/charging." response. I thought about writing it off as scripted advice that would never get me anywhere and requesting a return...but for the sake of completeness, I dug up one of the original cables just to prove that wasn't the issue...and it was the issue...
I'm not sure why the third-party cable that I had used successfully in the past stopped working. It still passes both data and power to other devices I have. But switching back to the original cable did the trick for me. I must admit, the original cable _does_ feel like it makes a more solid physical connection to the USB port on the side of the G5. So, maybe the other cable I had was _just_ on the edge of working and eventually the new pins in the pager port relaxed past the threshold?