GATTRS Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Two questions, I think.

First, is the 700 Mhz site in downtown Austin a full site or just a fill in site? I seem to get some talk groups only on that site and others only on Site 1.

Second, how busy is the George (downtown) talk group? I'm staying at the downtown Hilton, but don't seem to hear any traffic on George.

Thanks.

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
The "Central" site used to carry a lot of APD traffic but I've noticed that the past few times I've been through it has only been DPS (or those are the only talkgroups I have enabled that come up on that site). It used to be more active, but seems to be less so now.

Not sure about the George dispatch talkgroup.

samson512

George Sector

George sector gets pretty busy at night, especially on weekends/holidays/special events. At 2 am when the bars close you get to hear the foot units break up fights and the sort.

garys

Premium Subscriber
George sector gets pretty busy at night, especially on weekends/holidays/special events. At 2 am when the bars close you get to hear the foot units break up fights and the sort.

Sounds familiar, "closing time" is always interesting, especially on weekends. Being a college town, it's even more fun.

Another question. The RR database has talk group 1392 as "APD Red 6" but I clearly heard fire comms on it several times today. That's the on "RED" talk group I've heard anything one, so I have to wonder if the DB is wrong and that talk group and the related ones are actually AFDs.

Russell

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin

I thought the "red" channels were for FD / PD use during incidents (actually have PD and FD talk to each other???). However, I've heard AFD training ops on these channels before and have rarely heard actual live ops.

Last edited:

garys

Premium Subscriber
I thought the "red" channels were for FD / PD use during incidents (actually have PD and FD talk to each other???). However, I've heard AFD training ops on these channels before and have rarely heard actual live ops.

Maybe what I heard was training, but I'm not sure. The RRDB lists the Red channels as APD channels, but of course in actual use they might be interop or anything else the system manager and users decide they need them for.

I had a couple of spare hours to listen last night and the system was pretty busy. and the digital was easy to understand.

I still can't get used to the computer generated voice used on the FD dispatch. Nor can I figure out what the advantage is over having a person do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.