general prep / old book

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdub

I've just signed up on the forum looks like a great place.

I have a technician license and want to start studying for the general. I bought a general prep book a couple of years ago and but it on the shelf. Now i've picked it up and realized that the last round of questions has expired.
So, I know it would be wise to study the current questions, but has any of the theory actually changed with the last questions?

so in other words, is the first half of the book still good?

Thanks!

LtDoc

If you are memorizing Q and A's then that older book isn't going to do you a lot of good. If you are wanting to learn the theory behind those Q's, then it's probably going to be fairly adequate, theory hasn't changed. The rules have changed though! No idea if that book is 'up-to-date' enough for that. Your safest/'bestest' bet would be to get a new study guide. Keeping the older one for comparisons isn't a bad idea either.
- 'Doc

travisd

Go over to qrz.com and start running thru the questions there. For the ones that you don't get right, see if you can find the relevant explanation in the book and learn the material that way. Keep running thru the "practice" exams (which are of course the actual questions/answers from the real test pool) until you've seen all of them and gotten a good passing score enough times.

hhrj

Premium Subscriber
Use this: http://kb6nu.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/2007GeneralStudyGuide.pdf and the QRZ tests.
Took me about a week before I started averaging 89%. I would pull it up on my Iphone and take as many tests as I could fit into my spare time.
I breezed through the exam on Feb 4th and was granted my general on Feb 22.
They asked if I wanted to take the exam for extra but I declined even though I had looked at it.
Besides, it took me 30 years to decide on the general. Maybe I'll do the extra in another 30 years when I'm 90....they laughed.
Good Luck!
Ron

mdub

thanks for the the advise. I dowloaded the pdf i think this plus the book i have should get me the theory.

Is there by any change a document that shows the changes in the rules from the pre-july 2011 and now?

hhrj

Premium Subscriber
All the material is up to date and just what you need to study to pass the exam, make that priority one.
Then if you want to build on the exam knowledge take a look at the rest of the material that you have and decide how it can help you learn more.

Just like any other licenses that are earned (drivers, pilot, or captain) the ham licenses are just a step in the learning process of becoming an experienced, proficient member of the amateur radio community.
One big reason to pass these tests is the boost in morale and self satisfaction that fuels the desire to gain all knowledge available.

SO...Leave the other materials alone for now, concentrate on the exam study materials to get the most of the 35 questions correct. The information that I presented is all that you need for now, focus on them.
Take the QRZ test everytime that you have free time. Take them one after another over and over again.
You do this and you will you should walk out of the VEC session with a passing CSCE before some of the other people are finished filling out the forms and starting the test.

Go For It!!!

Good Luck,
Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.