Getting back into scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.

NathanielH

Many moons ago I was into scanning. My old trusty RS Pro 43 worked great back then but trunking was new but workable. Over the years I drifted away from the hobby. I would listen to some online but either half the feeds of interest were offline or not in the list. I was thinking of buying another scanner and am looking for recommendations. I saw the SDS200 mentioned in another thread but prefer handheld. The SDS100 looks to be similar and easy to program compared to the old days of manually entering frequencies on the Pro 43! The SDS100 looks to be supply challenged currently, however. Nonetheless, not having followed the hobby I’m wondering if it‘s worth investing $700 into scanning if agencies are working toward making their streams unavailable.

What I’m looking to listen to:
Oceanside PD
Carlsbad PD
SD Sheriff
Palomar Airport
Camp Pendleton airport (Not maneuver traffic, but ATC for the Class D surrounding the airfield. Sometimes some neat planes are in the area)
Anything else of interest that I can pick up in North County Coastal.

Thanks!

celbaseman

Feed Provider
Some say that if you adjust for inflation, it is about right compared to the costs of new scanners back in the day. I am using a BCD325P2 and 436HP pretty reliably, but the cream of the crop IS the SDS series right now. you will need something that is P2 compatible.

NathanielH

Some say that if you adjust for inflation, it is about right compared to the costs of new scanners back in the day. I am using a BCD325P2 and 436HP pretty reliably, but the cream of the crop IS the SDS series right now. you will need something that is P2 compatible.
Thanks. What is P2?

B

Premium Subscriber
Hi Nathan, I live in Vista, pretty close to you. I just got a Whistler TRX-2 recently to try out the new Project 25, Phase II stuff. I like it, works good for what I need it for, cheaper than the Uniden/Bearcat scanners. I’m an old guy and have used Radio Shack/GRE/Whistler scanners for ever. I had to learn how to use the included programming software, pretty easy I must say, all in all, it’s good. Most agencies have not switched to “phase II” yet...But it’s coming. There are a couple of folks, including a gentleman named Brian, who is so dialed in to what you need, what’s happening in San Diego scanning and is so willing to help us trying to navigate this new scanning world.

NathanielH

Hi Nathan, I live in Vista, pretty close to you. I just got a Whistler TRX-2 recently to try out the new Project 25, Phase II stuff. I like it, works good for what I need it for, cheaper than the Uniden/Bearcat scanners. I’m an old guy and have used Radio Shack/GRE/Whistler scanners for ever. I had to learn how to use the included programming software, pretty easy I must say, all in all, it’s good. Most agencies have not switched to “phase II” yet...But it’s coming. There are a couple of folks, including a gentleman named Brian, who is so dialed in to what you need, what’s happening in San Diego scanning and is so willing to help us trying to navigate this new scanning world.
Hi B. Thanks for the reply and info. It seems the SDS100 is hard to come by currently. So much has changed with scanning and ease of use, software upgrades, etc. $75 to unlock some features but I don't know what they do yet. :) I assume these can be bought later and the scanner can be plugged into a computer to update? So much to learn.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
The upgrades are for NXDN (no one in SD uses that) and DMR (security guards and busses use those systems), so not really useful for public safety. I've got an SDS100 here next to me scanning...it's a nice scanner, weird shaped batteey bulge, and keypad buttons don't work 50% of the time, but it's the best you can get on the market. I also have access to a Whistler TRX1...pony up for the SDS, trust me.

Paul

d119

The upgrades are for NXDN (no one in SD uses that) and DMR (security guards and busses use those systems), so not really useful for public safety.
Paul

Nope. No ambulance companies on those DMR systems.

The SD County Jails aren't using NXDN either.

So much for fact checking. Hello again, Paul.

mike619

San Diego MTS Access ParaTransit uses NXDN if you want to listen to them you may want the upgrade but it is up to you what you like to listen to.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber

NOT REALLY USEFUL FOR PUBLIC SAFETY... a jail and BLS transport of someones great grandmother for dialisis are not public safety.

Paul

d119

I'm not going to beat my head against the wall this time. You're right, Paul. Jails and BLS have zero to do with public safety. Nothing to hear there. Movin' on.

NathanielH

scannermaster showed they had the SDS100 in stock earlier today. Since a few other sites show it in stock when it isn't (taking advance orders), I assumed this was also the case. I refresh the page an hour later and it's out of stock at scannermaster. They must have actually had some!

SDBud

There IS an NXDN service here, but the RR database can't show you anything about it. Likely all businesses.

And there are MANY DMR users; the Zoo and it's various parts, airlines, and SO MANY other businesses, almost certainly for their Security people, but many other things. But no Public Safety here, though in other areas, there at PS DMR systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.