Getting into hobby

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxpol

Hi there, I want to get into the hobby of scanners.

I am an amateur radio operator and want to try this approach. I want to be able to monitor CPS, and ive been looking at the Uniden BCT15X. I was wondering if it will work with CPS or not. If not what is there in the same price range that I can get?
Thanks

BC_Scan

That one would not work for the digital talk groups, If you are refering to Calgary Police, I am listening to them right now with digital radio 396T handheld, refer here to the Wiki for understanding of trunk radio systems If you dont allready know!
However that would be an excellent start into the hobby 996T/XT would allow for digital P25 demodulation.

jambo

You might also look at the GRE 500 or 600 which IMHO are way better than the Uniden models. I own both the Uniden and GRE models, and side by side the GRE puts the Uniden to shame. With that being said, you have to choose the radio that's going to meet your needs. With alot of these agencies going to the digital trunked radio systems now days, you'd be better off getting one of the models mentioned above to save yourself from any future purchases. Hope this helps.

smason

Hi there, I want to get into the hobby of scanners.

I am an amateur radio operator and want to try this approach. I want to be able to monitor CPS, and ive been looking at the Uniden BCT15X. I was wondering if it will work with CPS or not. If not what is there in the same price range that I can get?
Thanks

The 15x is a great scanner, but unfortunately won't work with CPS, as their audio is digital.
As others have stated, for a non-handheld you'll need the Bearcat 996 or the GRE PSR-600. I have heard that the GRE scanners are a bit better at P25 (the digital audio that CPS uses) than the Bearcats, but I haven't really compared them myself.

I have the PSR-600 and the Radio Shack Pro-106 (their version of the PSR-500) and they both work very well for CPS, and just about anything else you'd want to monitor.

HDMechanic

Here is a little tip. I have had both the PSR 500 and 600 and still have the Uniden 396XT and 996XT. I found the Unidens are much better scanner . The PSR units have weak front ends and don't work to well when you hook up a external antenna. I also noticed a lot of RF noise when driving around the city especially buy cell towers. Also found that when i had hooked up an external antenna on my 600 I could only get trunked coms and no uhf or vhf coms. Not trying to bash Grecom products but am warning everyone so that they don't run into the same problems I had. Also another note never and I mean never hook an external antenna to a PSR500. Blows the front end right out of the scanner.

SCPD

QRT
First ... I just wanted to say that for the Calgary trunking system, if you want to listen to CPS, the best scanners are probably the GRE models. I have one and from what I have understood from those that have attempted to monitor CPS, the PSR 500 etc are the best units for P25 reception.

Second .. about connecting a external antenna to a GRE scanner. There is no need to do so .. as well the radios are sensitive enough that you shouldn't have to do so. The radios are not designed for that .. and yes you will overload the front end of the radios. Does this mean that they are bad radios ? Definitely not .. they are just more sensitive than the Uniden models. So just stick a normal rubber duckie on them and have fun.

maxpol

Thanks for all your input guys. Ive just received my BCD996XT, and I have no idea what I am doing here. Does anyone have a file for the 996 that I could load on with FreeScan for Calgary?
Thanks

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
Maxpol you made a great decision to pick up the 996XT. I love mine and have returned my GRE handheld and mobile.

HDMechanic should be able to help you set up for Calgary.
Harry

seanwg

Premium Subscriber
Hi Guys
I'm just looking to get into this hobby also - going to be picking up a PSR-500 shortly. Can you send me that file for freescan to load on?
Regards
Sean

Status
Not open for further replies.