Getting RadioShack 20-247 Scanner Programming Cable to Work? Open Com1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaperPerson

I am looking for suggestions on how to get the programming softare, PSREdit, to work with the radioShack USB-to-scanner Interface Device.

just bought a PRO-106 and a radio Shack 20-247 Programming Cable with driver software.

I like the PSREdit500 software so far. It looks useable. But here is what it says when I try to load frequencies from the PC to the scanner: "Unable to open COM1. Please be sure USB cable is connected and try again."

My hunch is that I screwed up by plugging the Radio Shack computer interface into a USB port and letting Windows find its own driver.

Now the interface will not work. your software says com1 not recognized. this is obviously not the fault of your software. There is very little information out there to turn to. the PRO-106 manual says almost nothing about hooking up the scanner to a computer.

I have found Device Manager and I am thinking the key might be to find the driver Windows XP installed and uninstall it. Then start again. But which driver is it? There is no obvious label. Anybody know?

I was able to gather up the frequency lists i want from radioreference.com using the PSREdit software. No Problem there.

Michael

N9JIG

Sheriff
In Device Manager look under Ports (COM & LPT) and see if there is an entry for "USB Serial Port".
See what the Com Port ID is and make sure that in PSREdit that this is the same (Configuration > Serial Port Settings).

cas08832

are you using extension cable to the 20-247? some scanners use it some do not. good luck

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Or best bet, with cable plugged in to USB and radio (don't use the short adapter as stated by cas08832), open PSREdit, click Configuration menu, select Serial Port Settings, click Search for Port button. Click Begin Search at bottom of dialog and watch it go through the ports to conclusion then click OK, Accept, Apply .

BTW, cable number is 20-047 rather then 247.

PaperPerson

Does one of you guys know the specific "name" of the device driver that windows installs if you plug in the radio shack

Re getting my computer connected to my new pro-106 scanner, I wanted to thank everyone for the valuable suggestions. I will try again tonight!

Michael

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Michael,

These are identicle in both of my cables in device manager.
Look in
C:/Windows/System32
FTlang.dll
ftseru2.dll
then in
C:/Windows/System32/drivers
ftseru2.sys
serenum.sys

I can't tell which to determine what is loaded prior to cable install because nothing changes when either cable is removed other then the USB to Serial in Ports.

Last edited:

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Michael,

These are identicle in both of my cables in device manager.
Look in
C:/Windows/System32
FTlang.dll
ftseru2.dll
then in
C:/Windows/System32/drivers
ftseru2.sys
serenum.sys

I can't tell which to determine what is loaded prior to cable install because nothing changes when either cable is removed other then the USB to Serial in Ports.
Michael, these and others can be found in the factory CD in WinXP/CDM 2.02.04WHQL/i386 folder.

mikey60

Or best bet, with cable plugged in to USB and radio (don't use the short adapter as stated by cas08832), open PSREdit, click Configuration menu, select Serial Port Settings, click Search for Port button. Click Begin Search at bottom of dialog and watch it go through the ports to conclusion then click OK, Accept, Apply .

BTW, cable number is 20-047 rather then 247.

Thanks Frank, I missed this thread until just now. The port search that Frank gave you would be the best way to find the port.

Mike

PaperPerson

Getting RadioShack 20-247 Scanner Programming Cable to Work? Open Com1?
Success report, with details on what worked.

fmon said: "Or best bet, with cable plugged in to USB and radio (don't use the short adapter as stated by cas08832), open PSREdit, click Configuration menu, select Serial Port Settings, click Search for Port button. Click Begin Search at bottom of dialog and watch it go through the ports to conclusion then click OK, Accept, Apply ."

F9JIG said:In Device Manager look under Ports (COM & LPT) and see if there is an entry for "USB Serial Port".
See what the Com Port ID is and make sure that in PSR500Edit that this is the same (Configuration > Serial Port Settings)."

Thanks VERY much to all who contributed their knowledge. The two suggestions above I am highlighting because if somebody else reads this and has a similar issue, poking around in these two places will provide the answers.

I am up and running and have successfully IMPORTED all the data from the pro-96 I borrowed from work into my own new Pro-106. Very satisfying! The guys at work and a guy at Radio Shack said it could not be done. But PSR500Edit fully supports it.

What I did was ask PSREDit500 to check my com ports as suggested. It told me COMport 4 was useable. So I switched PSREDit500's setting to com port to 4 on the configuration settings and then hit ACCEPT. I seem to have to do this each time I call up the program, so my solution is not perfect but it works.

Then I hooked up the old scanner and under IMPORT on the PSR menu I clicked on "Convert Data from Pro-96/Pro2096." I had a few false starts where not all the data went and the program crapped out. Had to close it from CNTRL_ALT_DEL process menu. But eventually, by adding a little "delay" time on the port configuration settings menu, it worked, 100 percent transferred to the computer.

After saving that new file to my desktop as Scan1.bin, I then plugged in the new scanner to the interface cable. on the PSR menu I opened up "RADIO" and clicked on "Upload to Radio." The software took over at that point.

I am writing this up not for you guys here, because this stuff is old hat to you, but for somebody who runs into the same issues I did.

Looking forward to a lot of scanning. This PRO-106 seems like a very solid radio with good audio. I am getting very reception of digital trunking channels.

Regards, Michael

mikey60

What I did was ask PSREDit500 to check my com ports as suggested. It told me COMport 4 was useable. So I switched PSREDit500's setting to com port to 4 on the configuration settings and then hit ACCEPT. I seem to have to do this each time I call up the program, so my solution is not perfect but it works.

I haven't seen this as an issue for anyone. The only reason I can think of that it won't save the port would be a permission issue on the PSREdit500.ini file (or on the folder that the program is in, which is where that file would be stored).

Then I hooked up the old scanner and under IMPORT on the PSR menu I clicked on "Convert Data from Pro-96/Pro2096." I had a few false starts where not all the data went and the program crapped out. Had to close it from CNTRL_ALT_DEL process menu. But eventually, by adding a little "delay" time on the port configuration settings menu, it worked, 100 percent transferred to the computer.

I guess I need to pull out my Pro-96 and do some checking on the import. Thanks for this report.

Mike

dlamib

My 2 cents

Hello

I was just reading about your problem with the 20-147 cable. Well I own a PRO-106 scanner and the same cable. The only difference is I use the Win500 program on an XP O.S.. I found that by disconnecting the mono adaptor and using the stereo plug on the cable allowed the program to recognize the scanner. After using the stereo plug the scanner was recognized and a COM port was alocated automatically for it
(COM 4.) I have noticed this problem to be reoccuring using the 20-147 RS cable on the Pro-106.

csc33312e

U need help with my pro 97

Hello can anyone help me program my pro 97 triple trunking scanner from radio shack i need codes for the fort.lauderdale are and everytime i put the codes in they give me frequences from fort.lauderdale,miami and other citys but i wonder how do i just get fort.lauderdale and how do it work i also have a usb cable from radio shack usb scanner pc interfer cable and dont know how to use that

Status
Not open for further replies.