getting started and finding the right scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

toledo151

I used to use a radioshack scanner about 7-8 years ago to listen to the police in my area. When they switched to digital my scanner didn't work anymore and I gave up trying to figure it out. I don't know much about scanners, but I'm willing to learn to be able to listen in again. I went and looked at a Uniden Bearcat BC895XLT today i found on craigslist. I am wanting to know a few things: Will this scanner work for my area? (I am in Sylvania Township in Lucas County, Ohio.) If they went digital, does their frequency change? (They used to be at 453.575 when I was last able to listen) Any other helpful informtion?

Nasby

I would pass on the 895xlt. Get yourself a digital scanner such as the PSR 500 or Radio Shack PRO-106 / PRO-197. They do really well on Ohio MARCS and other digital systems in Ohio.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Welcome to RadioReference.com!

Welcome to RadioReference.com! If you've been out of scanning for a while, you're going to find a steep curve getting yourself up to date on things. There are a host of issues you might face and not just whether your favorite agency went digital. Fortunately these modern scanners can be programmed with software, and some programs will even "import" the data from RadioReference for you.

The biggest roadblock for most with regard to getting into digital scanning is the cost. The radio itself will cost more than $300 and then you'll probably need some accessories (programming cable, power adapter, antenna?) as well as the programming software. BUT that will certainly set you up so you can hear what's in your area that is monitorable.

Personally I would avoid most sales on CL as people are often getting rid of radios because they won't work for them anymore (what they want to listen to went Digital and the scanner is analog) or something wrong with the scanner, etc. You get what you pay for. If trying to get the best deal, I would figure out what you want (check out the Wiki section here on RR) and wait for that radio to go on sale. There should be some sales between now and year's end (especially Black Friday).

Good luck

N8IAA

I used to use a radioshack scanner about 7-8 years ago to listen to the police in my area. When they switched to digital my scanner didn't work anymore and I gave up trying to figure it out. I don't know much about scanners, but I'm willing to learn to be able to listen in again. I went and looked at a Uniden Bearcat BC895XLT today i found on craigslist. I am wanting to know a few things: Will this scanner work for my area? (I am in Sylvania Township in Lucas County, Ohio.) If they went digital, does their frequency change? (They used to be at 453.575 when I was last able to listen) Any other helpful informtion?

Your questions can best be answered in the Ohio state forums further down the forums page. Your county is on a digital trunked system and also utilizes the Michigan state digital trunked system. To answer the question about the 895, no it can't be used on digital systems. Go to the radio reference database, click on Ohio, click on your county. It shows all the trunked systems in use in Lucas county at the bottom of the page.
HTH,
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.