• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Ghetto Mobile Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCFreak

Premium Subscriber
Hey all i know i am going to be flamed for this.

I have little funds and my mobile setup was stolen.

I have a small RS Model: 20-176 Outdoor VHF-Hi/UHF Scanner Antenna
I had a hair brained idea to put the antenna in my trunk on my Focus
and run cabling to the front where my BC246T is.

I have gotten quite a bit better reception than my handheld antenna and my RS mag mount. Now Stolen :(

Would like to know what you guys think.

BCFreak

Premium Subscriber
This is the antenna used in my Focus

Too ashamed to post a pic of the antenna squished in my trunk.

LOL

Attachments

• rat.jpg
    rat.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 569

kirka127

I did mean a pic of it installed on the focus but thats ok. If it works for you and does not blow off while driving then go for it. Looks better then the NIL-JON.

Freqed

I'm just a listener
Premium Subscriber
I currently run my antenna's inside the trunk, RS 800 Cell phone mobile that was real popular for 800 systems years ago. It helps keep the stealthiness of having gear in the car. Since I'm usually just listening to 800 systems it works good Around town, if I travel outside I can put it on the trunk (outside) lid until I get where I'm going. Long trips get a RS mag mount multi band antenna.

Chaos703

A long time ago I posted a picture of a low band antenna that I made to pick up Troops B and L from deep inside Tulsa's city clutter. I took an old 1980s CB mag mount, attached it to the AC condensing unit outside my window and then used a zip tie to strap the telescoping whip that came stock with my Regency M400 diagonally across the coil section of the mag mount.

You're not going to believe it when I tell you this, Freak. But ... nobody in this esteemed forum was the slightest bit impressed. Broke my heart.

Here's my advice: don't be shy about posting your picture because no one here can appreciate the skillful art of the great American home innovator anyway. They're all a bunch of tech-no geeks totally obsessed with doing things "right." Whatever.

And for the record, my creation worked pretty well until my wife got sick of looking at it. She gave it the old "Charlie X" and made it go way. I got back at her by purchasing the biggest Scantenna I could find and stuck it up on a 20' mast. It worked famously until it blew down in a windstorm (honestly, I thought those guy wire things were just for looks. Who knew I should have actually used them).

BCFreak

Premium Subscriber
Good for you nothing like making sometghing out of nothing.

I am glad you got it to work and nice on the Scantanna.

HAHAH LOL

hoser147

I use a suction cup mount and my antennex rubber ducky on the inside of the car window, helps to not stickout for the thieves. hey man if it works for you and fits your budget go for it...............hoser

n8emr

No just the $20 on crack and you dont care if you eat for several days.

Status
Not open for further replies.