Gloucester County

Status
Not open for further replies.

CommJunkie

I read somewhere that Gloucester County was moving from 500mhz to 450-470 mhz for fire/ems and police, due to interference problems from digital TV stations. I know the police have moved, I assume fire/ems is in the works.

Question I have is, Delaware County, PA (where I am) uses the same 500 mhz analog conventional system as Gloucester, and we've had no problems of that nature. Is Gloucester really having these issues, or is it a ploy to get a new radio system? And wasn't the point of digital TV to be so that the analog stations/users in the same band space wouldn't cause/be caused interference?

Just seems kinda odd to me.

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
Gloucester County will eventually be switching to 700 MHz digital trunking just like many other counties across New Jersey.

The police moved off 500MHz. to the 453/460 channels mainly due to officer safety issues related to the interference since the DTV migration.

Fire & EMS will remain where they are unless further issues arise...

Expect the 700MHz. migration within the next 2 to 3 years...

fineshot1

I read somewhere that Gloucester County was moving from 500mhz to 450-470 mhz for fire/ems and police, due to interference problems from digital TV stations. I know the police have moved, I assume fire/ems is in the works.

Question I have is, Delaware County, PA (where I am) uses the same 500 mhz analog conventional system as Gloucester, and we've had no problems of that nature. Is Gloucester really having these issues, or is it a ploy to get a new radio system? And wasn't the point of digital TV to be so that the analog stations/users in the same band space wouldn't cause/be caused interference?

Just seems kinda odd to me.

Read some of the articles below - a small and incomplete look at some of the history of digital tv interference in the NY,NJ,PA area. Also - you have the wrong impression of the point of digital tv. DTV just as digital police communications has its own set of enhanced features which analog can not do.

Sign of the times: More DTV interference

North East RadioWatch: November 11, 2002

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/...cle_64b87b49-0f81-56d3-ba23-97a623b135e0.html

Status
Not open for further replies.