• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

GM300 programming problems

68hc11

Hello all,

I do servicing for myself and few friends who are into amateur radio. Last week I was given a GM300 to try to program for repeater operation on VHF. The radio is a mystery, it is the VHF version with 2-layer logic board but I cannot tell anything else because the sticker is missing. I wanted to read the model number with the RSS and then possibly program the desired channels.

I tried to access it with several versions of RSS but it does not answer at all. I monitor the SCI+ line with oscilloscope during programming to avoid any confusion. The transmit pin on the microcontroller inside the radio is always high and does not respond to the RSS. The RX pin is receiving serial communication.

I have a clone of the original RIB which works with other radios OK. I've tried a few versions of GM300 RSS (R02, R03, R04) and the MaxTrac LAB RSS - all of them fail the COMM TEST with error "Invalid opcode". Needless to say they also do not read the codeplug. I do not think the logic board is dead because the radio otherwise works, there are 2 channels programmed and it reacts to keyboard presses and PTT, unsquelches and outputs audio (noise) when i hold down the MON button.

I am using a 486-class machine with RS232 port and MS-DOS 6.22

Did anyone of you see something like that before?

Martin-ZS4E

Hello all,

I do servicing for myself and few friends who are into amateur radio. Last week I was given a GM300 to try to program for repeater operation on VHF. The radio is a mystery, it is the VHF version with 2-layer logic board but I cannot tell anything else because the sticker is missing. I wanted to read the model number with the RSS and then possibly program the desired channels.

I tried to access it with several versions of RSS but it does not answer at all. I monitor the SCI+ line with oscilloscope during programming to avoid any confusion. The transmit pin on the microcontroller inside the radio is always high and does not respond to the RSS. The RX pin is receiving serial communication.

I have a clone of the original RIB which works with other radios OK. I've tried a few versions of GM300 RSS (R02, R03, R04) and the MaxTrac LAB RSS - all of them fail the COMM TEST with error "Invalid opcode". Needless to say they also do not read the codeplug. I do not think the logic board is dead because the radio otherwise works, there are 2 channels programmed and it reacts to keyboard presses and PTT, unsquelches and outputs audio (noise) when i hold down the MON button.

I am using a 486-class machine with RS232 port and MS-DOS 6.22

Did anyone of you see something like that before?
Hi,

I am experiencing a similar problem, also get "invalid opcode" error message.
I am using Win10 with VMWare 16 with DOS 6.22 installed.
Original Motorola RIB box and GM300 software,
Strange thing is all worked 100% until my SSD crashed recently and I reloaded Windows and all my other software.
I have a feeling the problem is related to memory setting in DOS, hopefully someone will be able to clarify the exact nature of the error message.