• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

GMRS channel popularity

KK4JW

Are any of the 22 GMRS channels/frequencies more popular than the others? I have a Samcom UHF walkie talkie that is programmable to GMRS frequencies, but it only holds 20 frequencies. I have the first 20 programmed in, and have omitted channel 21 and 22. Are channel 21 and 22 popular channels/frequencies? Would I be best suited to swap some "lesser used" channels for those in my walkie talkie? Or would you just stick with the first 1-20 and roll with it?

Obviously I don't NEED 22 channels/frequencies, but sometimes I like to monitor others. I guess I always have my scanner for that though..

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
Channel 1 is usually pretty popular out here just because people don't change the channel I presume. 15-22 are also used for repeaters. Unless you are using specific repeaters, 15-22 are what I would leave off.

tomk62

15-22 are also used for repeaters. Unless you are using specific repeaters, 15-22 are what I would leave off.

That's not 100% accurate, while those are the output frequencies for the repeaters, they are also commonly used as simplex channels so I wouldn't necessarily count them out (standard GMRS radios tx/rx on that channel frequency). Channel 19 is a common "road" channel (borrowing from CB days), and 16 is common for off roaders.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
That's not 100% accurate, while those are the output frequencies for the repeaters, they are also commonly used as simplex channels so I wouldn't necessarily count them out (standard GMRS radios tx/rx on that channel frequency). Channel 19 is a common "road" channel (borrowing from CB days), and 16 is common for off roaders.
Never heard of 19 and 16 used for those purposes on GMRS. I know they "can" be used for simplex as well, but me personally, I would still leave those repeater pairs off, unless there was a specific repeater I wanted to use.

K6GBW

There's none that are really more popular than others. If you do repeter stuff then drop a couple of the .5 watt channels. If you do mostly simplex stuff then keep 1-14 and drop a couple of the repeater channels. Personally, I use mine for simplex only so I stay in the 1-14 zone and stay off the repeater channels to avoid messing with them.

Coffeemug

Premium Subscriber
Are any of the 22 GMRS channels/frequencies more popular than the others? I have a Samcom UHF walkie talkie that is programmable to GMRS frequencies, but it only holds 20 frequencies. I have the first 20 programmed in, and have omitted channel 21 and 22. Are channel 21 and 22 popular channels/frequencies? Would I be best suited to swap some "lesser used" channels for those in my walkie talkie? Or would you just stick with the first 1-20 and roll with it?

Obviously I don't NEED 22 channels/frequencies, but sometimes I like to monitor others. I guess I always have my scanner for that though..

Like with the 11m CB back in the day, the popular was the one with the most traffic or QSOs. I know for Southeastern Pennsylvania and Southern New Jersey was Channels 25, 27 and 32.

nokones

Premium Subscriber
Channel 19 as the common road channel is an incorrect statement. Ch. 20 has been designated as the National Highway Travel Channel along with the CTCSS tone of 141.3 Hz as the Travel Tone. There is a lot of documented history on this subject that dates back several decades and before many of the GMRS licensees have been living.

Only recently, "some people" have been trying to designate Ch. 19 as the Highway channel. Although, ch. 16 has been taking hold as the designated off-road channel.

kirk5056

Premium Subscriber
The most popular GMRS channel (frequency pair + PL filter) is the one that you and the people you want to communicate with agree on ahead of time. If you want to use a radio to meet strangers then you will have better luck on Ham or CB.

There is a push to make GMRS 19 as a sort of national channel but it cannot be legally used in about 10% of the US. This is due to an international agreement that you can find by looking up FCC's Line A.

W8UU

Pilot of the Airwaves
Premium Subscriber
There are some folks in GMRS-land that think its a good idea to equate truckers using CB Channel 19 with GMRS Channel 19 (462.65/467.75). As several have mentioned, it's illegal to use GMRS 19 north of Line A (roughly 100 air miles from the Canadian border) so that idea is dead on arrival with this regulatory technicality.

CB isn't GMRS. Truckers and motorists wanting a channel to use for travel purposes should follow the decades-old gentleman's agreement to monitor GMRS 20 with a 141.3 hZ CTCSS tone. It's probably the best place to make contact with like-minded licensees. If I ever needed help anywhere, didn't have cell service, but I had a GMRS radio, Channel 20 is the first place I'd start calling.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Yeah, too many people trying to create an issue that has long been solved.

462.675/141.3 is well established. There's a lot of repeaters still on this pair with this tone. No need to recreate the wheel here. It was done decades ago.

The Line A/Line C thing is no longer listed in the current FCC rules for GMRS. Ever since Canada adopted the 22 channels for their FRS service, the requirement on US operators was pointless.

nokones

Premium Subscriber
Both my GMRS license with a 2019 grant date, and my Business Radio License with a 2023 grant date restricts north of Line A. My GMRS restricts east of Line C but, not my Business Radio license.

PCTEK

Premium Subscriber
Since I don't see it mentioned in this thread, transmitting on a GMRS frequency still requires and FCC License, which I believe is $80. There were rumors that the FCC was going to drop the fee, but nothing ever came of that. I'm licensed but it stings to pay that fee for what amounts to a repeater capable FRS service

12dbsinad

Since I don't see it mentioned in this thread, transmitting on a GMRS frequency still requires and FCC License, which I believe is $80. There were rumors that the FCC was going to drop the fee, but nothing ever came of that. I'm licensed but it stings to pay that fee for what amounts to a repeater capable FRS service
It's 35 dollars

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
And yet this text is on my GMRS license, which was issued in 2020.

View attachment 165272

Both my GMRS license with a 2019 grant date, and my Business Radio License with a 2023 grant date restricts north of Line A. My GMRS restricts east of Line C but, not my Business Radio license.

Yep, mine from 2022 shows it also.

There was an attempt to remove that back a few years ago, but looking farther, it never happened. So, I was wrong.

But those same frequencies are used in the Canadian FRS channel line up, so the old reason of not interfering with Canadian LMR users is no longer valid.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
462.675/141.3 is well established. There's a lot of repeaters still on this pair with this tone. No need to recreate the wheel here. It was done decades ago.
Is this in the RR wiki somewhere? It should be as this is the answer. To that point, the longest running GMRS repeater in central California uses that pair/tone.