• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

GMRS Eastern CT

Status
Not open for further replies.

tpp517

Premium Subscriber
Looking for users in Eastern CT, was curious how many actually use it and if its worth adding a repeater. Thanks WQZJ409

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Looking for users in Eastern CT, was curious how many actually use it and if its worth adding a repeater. Thanks WQZJ409

I haven't heard any users on GMRS in my area (New London County) for years, but then again on the flip side I don't always listen to those freqs.

Thorndike113

I haven't heard any users on GMRS in my area (New London County) for years, but then again on the flip side I don't always listen to those freqs.

Dont quote me on this, but being in Newlondon county, you may be ok to set one up. I havent lived in CT in over 10 years but the last time I was down there I used to monitor GMRS and the only repeaters I ever heard were in the Hartford area and there was one run by a Ham up in Thompson. Aside from that, I dont remember any being down in that part of the state. Best bet is to monitor the band either by scanner or SDR on a computer where you can see the whole repeater portion of the band at once.

awasser1

Premium Subscriber
I'm in Hartford Area I have my GMRS License. Dont hear too much except one repeater out of W Mass. The repeater in Thompson I can receive it here. Couple Ham Buddies have an interest in GMRS in the Naugatuck Valley. Couple repeaters are or will be going up.

Alec

millrad

Premium Subscriber
I notice that Zello is a major player in GMRS and has been for quite a while. There are RoIP links to repeaters all over the country, accessible via the Zello app. Some repeater owners require that you be "trusted" in before you can transmit, mostly to insure you are licensed to be on their systems. As I see it, there is no real need to buy your own radio or worry about whether there are repeaters in sparsely populated areas. On the other hand, if you only want local comms, you still need to buy the hardware. After being involved in ham radio since 1984, I discovered Zello last year (while quarantining at home) and its association with GMRS, ham radio and public safety. - Now I belong to several Zello-linked repeaters and just purchased a mobile GMRS transceiver to use as a base station. My GMRS callsign: WRHW236

Last edited:

N1SAK

MR. PINK
Premium Subscriber
People using GMRS don't really "ragchew" like they do with ham. With my ham mobile, I can kill an hour's drive just by announcing my call sign as people reply just to talk. With GMRS, they're usually using between equipment like lawn or farm tractors, within an off-road club on an excursion, or using to talk to their family members around the immediate vicinity. They say something to someone spefically, not really just to anyone (even though they are often overheard by others). Almost a culture thing. Still, I'd encourage you to toss out your call sign if you're just hoping that someone will come back for a conversation, nothing wrong with that. If you ask for a "repeater check" people will often reply to you and then you can ask 'em a question and get the ball rolling. Or, you can say: "This is WXYZ123, anyone out there for a brief hello?" Not sure why but around New England - and maybe everywhere, I'm rather new to GMRS after having my ham general license for a while now - people seem to use it to say something specific to someone specific. Very little action on my local repeaters and usually, when I do hear something, it's of the nature I just described.

RFI-EMI-GUY

"People using GMRS don't really "ragchew" like they do with ham "

I was on Long Island after mid Feb 2020 and the GMRS repeater sounded much like a ham repeater. Someone even had a beam antenna. A lot of long winded rag chewing going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.