• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

GMRS repeaters narrow band

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt131

QRT
Premium Subscriber
Hello

I realize that the 2013 narrow band mandate doesn't effect gmrs but now all radios purchased new only do narrow band and not wide band. Are repeaters owners going to narrow band their repeaters so they work with the new gmrs radios sold or leave the repeaters wide band? Also will a narrow band radio work well through a wide band repeater?

Thank you

n5ims

While most new radios do not allow wide band operation by default, you can still activate this mode using some special software entitlements. See this thread for a discussion on how to get them for your Motorola radios --> http://forums.radioreference.com/motorola-forum/259029-how-obtain-25kz-entitlement-keys.html

A narrow band radio should still work through a wide band repeater, but there may be lower audio levels. This lower audio level may affect the PL tone detection so your tones may not work as expected (they could be too low to be properly decoded). Generally, there won't be any serious issues though.

Last edited:

redneckcellphone

Premium Subscriber
all three of my radios icom, wouxun and anytone have options to choose either wide band or narrow. they program with the standard wide unless selected as narrow

RodStrong

I was working on a VX-454 last night, and the software forced everything to be narrowband. However, I found if I changed the date on my computer back to 2012, it would allow me to still choose wide or narrow.

W2NJS

I was working on a VX-454 last night, and the software forced everything to be narrowband. However, I found if I changed the date on my computer back to 2012, it would allow me to still choose wide or narrow.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rod,

That's a very interesting fact you discovered, and I think it deserves wider publicity than being buried in
a thread. You have to wonder how many other new CPSs are set to give similar responses if the machine's calendar is set to 2012 and not 2013.

N4KVE

Since GMRS is intended for family, & personal use, & don't see people buying brand new expensive narrow band radios for use there. However, since commercial users are required to get rid of their wide band only radios, there are literally thousands of dumpsters all over the country filled with these radios. If you go to the famous auction site, you can see hundred's of perfectly good wide band radios selling for $25. Last year I picked up some Kenwood TK 840's for $50 each. They all work perfectly & there's thousands available. So in my opinion, there's no reason to spend over $100 to get an excellent GMRS radio.

shmget

My understanding about programming software for Kenwood NX-220/320 radios is that they will not allow wideband. I have an NX-220 (VHF) that I asked for an audio report on amateur repeaters, and the station said I sounded fine and the audio wasn't too low.

The Kenwood NX-300 (UHF) software that I have still allows wide channels, so my GMRS repeater channels are set to wideband, and the interstitials to narrow.

70cutlass442

Premium Subscriber
Honestly, We have talked into our repeater in WB mode, while the repeater was set to NB. As well as vicea versa.. It still works just fine, you may notice some audio difference, but overall it still works fine. I say give it a try and you might be a bit surprised.

quarterwave

Since GMRS is intended for family, & personal use, & don't see people buying brand new expensive narrow band radios for use there. However, since commercial users are required to get rid of their wide band only radios, there are literally thousands of dumpsters all over the country filled with these radios. If you go to the famous auction site, you can see hundred's of perfectly good wide band radios selling for $25. Last year I picked up some Kenwood TK 840's for $50 each. They all work perfectly & there's thousands available. So in my opinion, there's no reason to spend over $100 to get an excellent GMRS radio.

Ditto...I never had the luxury of "new" radios. Mine aren't ancient, but M/P 1225's. Would love to play with some newer stuff.

On the note of chucking wideband units....I did the reconfiguration project for the company I work for....I thought I might cry when I threw $40,000 worth of GM300 VHF radios in the can. But, the HAM club didn't want them for free, nor did anyone else for cheap.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Ancient? Try a old tk805d, but they do work well for gmrs! :wink:

n9zas

quarterwave

Yeah...I found a Moxy hiding in my cabinet a while back...that's old...but not quite as old as a Motrac some guy found and brought to me like a mouse from your cat...I told him to just walk away...quickly.

Someone (new guy) asked me how to program a Moxy once (about 15 years ago)....I said "With a service monitor and this thing called a crystal....oooooooooooh!"

dnoyeb

I would expect that a wide band repeater would not alter the sound of any radio. But a narrow band repeater would alter the sound of wideband radios as it would clip out the data beyond its range.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
I would expect that a wide band repeater would not alter the sound of any radio. But a narrow band repeater would alter the sound of wideband radios as it would clip out the data beyond its range.

Less than you might think...

Real life experience here to illustrate my point. (Not GMRS, but still relevant, I think.) The county I live in has an analog conventional Fire & EMS radio system. They bought all new Quantar repeaters for the EMS side within the last 18 months. The Fire repeaters are about 7 years old. Unbeknownst to any of the field users, they narrowbanded all of the repeaters and control stations at the beginning of December. Sometime in the middle of the month, we got phone calls saying, "Oh yeah, we narrowbanded everything on our side two weeks ago so all the agencies can narrowband their gear now." There was little, if any, noticeable difference in audio quality from any wideband mobile or portable through the repeaters during that two week period.

quarterwave

I had said in a previous post, I think the FCC will have some work to do, there are many licensees that did not narrow, and some that went through the motions with the license, but did nothing with the equipment, as they simply don't understand. I know of schools and businesses, etc...that unless someone from the outside had stepped in to push it, nothing would have been done.

To your point, we narrowed our repeater, and then the mobiles about a month later. We only use it for backup, but in testing, the audio was not wonderful, but ok. In contrast we have some volunteer firemen here that apparently are not making a move to change their personal gear, as they sound like crap after their repeater was switched in December. Of course, the dispatcher just keeps telling them their radio is "broken up"...and I bet not one is taking the bull by the horns and saying "replace that radio, or stop using it...no other options".

bill4long

Always Been

Hello

I realize that the 2013 narrow band mandate doesn't effect gmrs but now all radios purchased new only do narrow band and not wide band. Are repeaters owners going to narrow band their repeaters so they work with the new gmrs radios sold or leave the repeaters wide band? Also will a narrow band radio work well through a wide band repeater?

Thank you

GMRS and FRS radio services have ALWAYS been "narrow band" (2.5khz deviation).

So any compliant GMRS radio or repeater would already be "narrow band."

Nothing to worry about. (Unless you're using non-compliant radios or repeaters.)

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
GMRS and FRS radio services have ALWAYS been "narrow band" (2.5khz deviation).

So any compliant GMRS radio or repeater would already be "narrow band."

Nothing to worry about. (Unless you're using non-compliant radios or repeaters.)

True, FRS has always been narrow band, 2.5KHz deviation, but GMRS is currently wide band, 5KHz deviation, and there isn't any change to that announced.

It is perfectly legal, however, to run narrow on GMRS as well as the more common wide band. Consumer grade FRS/GMRS radios are often narrow band only to save manufacturing costs.

bill4long

True, FRS has always been narrow band, 2.5KHz deviation, but GMRS is currently wide band, 5KHz deviation, and there isn't any change to that announced.

It is perfectly legal, however, to run narrow on GMRS as well as the more common wide band. Consumer grade FRS/GMRS radios are often narrow band only to save manufacturing costs.

You are quite right.

Status
Not open for further replies.