Good shortwave desktop receiver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boombox

"radiomancanada" hasn't said what he's using at the moment, so suggesting portables when he's asked for a desktop is rather pointless.
The same could be said for the SDR suggestions here. They're all just helpful suggestions, to help him receive the pirate broadcasts he said he's interested in receiving, and any of the radios suggested would probably be a step up from the semi-working DX-390 he said he has at present.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I'm not sure I agree; apart from radios like the CR-1A and ELAD FDM-DUO, SDRs can be thought of as 'desktops' since they can't operate without a PC, which pretty much limits their portability (yes, it can be done, but it's pretty clumsy).

And let's face it; a good mid-level SDR will blow most portables right out of the water without breaking a meter band (heh)

Yes, SDRs have a big learning curve, but with that comes monitoring ability that desktops (the few that are still around) can't match. Mike

mbott

Premium Subscriber
I believe a lot of that learning curve can be managed with the right software. I would not have picked it up had I started with SDR-Console or SDRuno. I think my journey into the world of SDRs was made much easier because I started with HDSDR. A much easier piece of software and still under development/improvement. HDSDR is what I recommend to anyone starting out with their own SDR. The webSDRs are also a great resource to the beginner.

--
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.