• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

    Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

    If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

    To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

    The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

    For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

    This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Goodbye Galaxy?

EAFrizzle

"Sign in, please!"
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jun 2, 2019
Messages
1,599
Reaction score
2,523
Location
SE de DFW
Looks like the Galaxy badge will eventually be replaced by the Texas Ranger label. Would be nice if RCI put some of the savings into newer architecture and processing.
 

slowmover

Active Member
Joined
Aug 4, 2020
Messages
4,655
Reaction score
4,650
Location
Fort Worth
Looks like the Galaxy badge will eventually be replaced by the Texas Ranger label. Would be nice if RCI put some of the savings into newer architecture and processing.

About the only way to “modernize” one of the few NOS Galaxies is to internally add a WEST MOUNTAIN RADIO DSP Noise Reduction Processor ($100/part + labor) unless the choice is the $225/Speaker which I ran for ten years.

Depending on which model, adding an amp may be needed.

IMG_7871.jpeg

Agreed that the classic layout as design guideline plus modern circuitry would be best (if that’s what you’re indicating).


STRYKER now owns that customer base: audio punch plus familiar faceplate. The 955-HPC is everything they desire.

IMG_0910.jpeg


.
 
Last edited:

EAFrizzle

"Sign in, please!"
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jun 2, 2019
Messages
1,599
Reaction score
2,523
Location
SE de DFW
It's still just the same song, different verse.


If RCI would put QT-60/80 specs in a 2950/70 chassis, they'd have my attention again. Bonus points for a Tx audio switch to change from DSP to good-old over-modulated 2950 honk.
 

K9KLC

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Mar 31, 2007
Messages
3,121
Reaction score
3,359
Location
Southwest, IL
My Favorite Galaxy is a 55 hp. I have a 959 but the 55 is one awesome radio

I heard the one guy say he was about 30 miles how far were the other stations you worked, or were they skip? Also just out of curiosity is that "just the 55HP" or did it have help?
 

niceguy71

Active Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2023
Messages
1,547
Reaction score
2,115
Location
Massachusetts
My Favorite Galaxy is a 55 hp. I have a 959 but the 55 is one awesome radio

that YouTube Channel is the BEST one on You Tube!!!

I've never seen that video before... I don't know how I missed it, I'll watch it later.
glad to see you posting on Radio Reference.... if you like that 55-HP then it's got to be a good one.
 

K9KLC

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Mar 31, 2007
Messages
3,121
Reaction score
3,359
Location
Southwest, IL
that YouTube Channel is the BEST one on You Tube!!!

I've never seen that video before... I don't know how I missed it, I'll watch it later.
glad to see you posting on Radio Reference.... if you like that 55-HP then it's got to be a good one.
To the guys that didn't want SSB or echo, I sold a lot of the original Galaxy 55V's thru the shop. They were great talkers and honestly a lot of guys liked those big meters. I ran one myself for a while but, I missed not having SSB on the thing but I wanted to run one personally prior to ever recommending it. Frankly it talked and received as good as well as the rest of the radios from that era pretty much. I was glad to see some guys are still running that type of unit and putting videos out about it.
 

K9KLC

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Mar 31, 2007
Messages
3,121
Reaction score
3,359
Location
Southwest, IL
About the only way to “modernize” one of the few NOS Galaxies is to internally add a WEST MOUNTAIN RADIO DSP Noise Reduction Processor ($100/part + labor) unless the choice is the $225/Speaker which I ran for ten years.
If you can find that board I know they've been out of them for some time now. As I mentioned in another post I parted with my West Mountain speaker in favor of the Timewave DSP 599ZX so I could run whatever speaker I wanted to on various equipment in different situations. I do wish however that processor would become available again, that was a pretty good add on to the older stuff.
 

slowmover

Active Member
Joined
Aug 4, 2020
Messages
4,655
Reaction score
4,650
Location
Fort Worth
If you can find that board I know they've been out of them for some time now. As I mentioned in another post I parted with my West Mountain speaker in favor of the Timewave DSP 599ZX so I could run whatever speaker I wanted to on various equipment in different situations. I do wish however that processor would become available again, that was a pretty good add on to the older stuff.

On use:


“Getting the Most Out of the CLRdsp and CLRspkr”

by: Sholto Fisher, K7TMG

.
 

K9KLC

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Mar 31, 2007
Messages
3,121
Reaction score
3,359
Location
Southwest, IL
On use:


“Getting the Most Out of the CLRdsp and CLRspkr”

by: Sholto Fisher, K7TMG

.
I never tried the CLR Dsp, after I got the time wave I pretty much stopped there. I'll have to get my time wave back from my son and do some testing with it again. He's had it for several years now as I don't use it with DSP built in to the last two HF radios I have, which Is what I mostly run. I am still eying the QT-60 I may have an 5555 N2 come here in a week or two from a buddy that has one that states "its' not working right"....I honestly think the radio is fine but he's having antenna issues. We'll see I guess.
 

MackinNC

Member
Joined
Nov 27, 2018
Messages
13
Reaction score
17
Location
Cary, NC
I heard the one guy say he was about 30 miles how far were the other stations you worked, or were they skip? Also just out of curiosity is that "just the 55HP" or did it have help?

This was all local talk....I can give it help but it didnt this night, most of these guys were 30-45 miles away....the 55hp puts out over 50 watts on its on so no extra help is needed for that distance .
 

K9KLC

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Mar 31, 2007
Messages
3,121
Reaction score
3,359
Location
Southwest, IL
This was all local talk....I can give it help but it didnt this night, most of these guys were 30-45 miles away....the 55hp puts out over 50 watts on its on so no extra help is needed for that distance .
Nice, thanks for the response. I've not seen the HP version of that but, if it's doing 50 PEP that's eh, ~15 or so more than the original did give or take a little bit. They were always good talkers. That was a great video, thanks.
 
Top