Gps based programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

timenright

I am new to this hobby and am very excited to get started. We are designing a custom coach from the ground up and want to add a scanner and we want to make sure we do things right.

Our selection for the scanner is the Uniden BDC996T. Our choice of antenna is the Austin Spectra.

Configuring devices with a small screen should be avoided at all times! This is tedious work that I simply do not have time for. I have done it more than I would like to admit and will ALWAYS seek a better alternative.

Since this is going to be used all of the US we feel that it is important to have a persistent connection to the onboard computer. Our guess is that it is impossible to program this scanner to hold all of the nationwide emergency frequencies. So, the ability to add them dynamically seems like the only likely choice. However, we will pre-load as many as possible but haven’t given this much thought as of yet.

We will have a persistent connection to the internet as well so data gathering from sites like this one can always be counted upon. We also have a GPS connected to the onboard computer and the current location of the vehicle is always known.

You guys see where I am going with this? I need software that will make the initial configuration of the scanner a breeze with a couple canned options and the ability to save the current. I need software that will, at the click of a button, update the scanner with all of the frequencies for my current geographical location.

I hope this software already exists, but if it doesn’t, I would like to know who might be working on something like this. There is also a chance that this might have sparked an idea … while I am new to scanners; I am not new to development and would participate in the development of this feature …

Status
Not open for further replies.