GPS for bct-15

Status
Not open for further replies.

hilofer

I see scanner master has two GPS receivers for applicable scanners. One is Garmin and the other is SpectrumForce. Has anyone had experience on the Spectrum Force (less expensive) unit? Just wondering if it works as well as the Garmin for the price.

QRFactual

LEO Member
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

I used the Garmin GPS for my BCD996XT and it worked great...until it stopped working. I tried to replace it, only to find out that Scanner Master doesn't know when or if they will be getting any more. I looked on Garmins website and it lists the GPS18 as discontinued. I recently installed the GPS unit by Spectrum Force and I've had no problems or issues with it. Seems just as sensitive as the Garmin and also has a longer cord length. I'm happy with it.

K4APR

Not to throw the subject of the thread off...

If it is of any interest, I have a design that I kind of put on the back burner for a simple internal GPS module for the 15 and 996(XT) models. It would require internal installation and a single hole drilled in the back panel for an SMA GPS antenna connector. The power and data connections are all internal, drawing power from the scanner it'self.

I posted some info about it a year ago and the reception was lukewarm. I assumed it might have had to do with how new the 996 was at the time and the whole automatic position-based scanning scheme being a new method. Now that its fairly common place and there are plenty of units out there working, I thought it would be worth another mention.

Status
Not open for further replies.