GPS problems

ORION_NE

Premium Subscriber
After reprogramming my SDS200 I've been having problems with the SDS200 scanning properly due to GPS problems. My scanner is dash mounted with Uniden GPS puck for the SDS200, GPS data is programmed correctly, and GPS control is enabled for all favorite lists that I want it to be enabled on. The problem is after programming the scanner using Butel nothing is being unlocked or locked out when traveling using GPS location. To get it working properly I had to go into Location setting and attempt to auto locate. After doing this the scanner would work properly using the GPS setting. The scanner worked properly for about a week then yesterday all of the sudden while scanning "nothing available to scan" popped up. I had to go into location setting and attempt to auto locate again. This time the scanner stated it was unable to determine my location but the GPS function started working properly again.

I have had other issues after programming the SDS200 using Butel. Multiple times systems and favorite lists that are enabled in the software were not enable in the scanner. I don't know if this is a problem with GPS puck, scanner, or the software. I use Butel to program my SDS200s and BCD536. I have zero issues when I program the 536 using Butel. Any help attempting to figure this out would be greatly appreciated.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
After reprogramming my SDS200 I've been having problems with the SDS200 scanning properly due to GPS problems. My scanner is dash mounted with Uniden GPS puck for the SDS200, GPS data is programmed correctly, and GPS control is enabled for all favorite lists that I want it to be enabled on. The problem is after programming the scanner using Butel nothing is being unlocked or locked out when traveling using GPS location. To get it working properly I had to go into Location setting and attempt to auto locate. After doing this the scanner would work properly using the GPS setting. The scanner worked properly for about a week then yesterday all of the sudden while scanning "nothing available to scan" popped up. I had to go into location setting and attempt to auto locate again. This time the scanner stated it was unable to determine my location but the GPS function started working properly again.

I have had other issues after programming the SDS200 using Butel. Multiple times systems and favorite lists that are enabled in the software were not enable in the scanner. I don't know if this is a problem with GPS puck, scanner, or the software. I use Butel to program my SDS200s and BCD536. I have zero issues when I program the 536 using Butel. Any help attempting to figure this out would be greatly appreciated.

WHY are you using Butel with anSDS200????
Either use Sentinel - or get a copy of ProScan...

BTW, Auto locate does NOT use GPS - and frankly most here will tell you it's worthless.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
The scanner worked properly for about a week then yesterday all of the sudden while scanning "nothing available to scan" popped up. I had to go into location setting and attempt to auto locate again. This time the scanner stated it was unable to determine my location but the GPS function started working properly again.

This was posted by UPMan regarding Auto Locate:

GPS and Auto Locate are two completely different methods that use completely different technology. If you have a GPS, you really have no reason to ever use Auto Locate.

......... as long as your GPS is installed and functioning properly.

donc13

Premium Subscriber

It sounds like you GPS Puck is in a bad location where it doesn't know where you are.

Do you have the GPS baud rate in the sds200 set to 9600 baud? The Puck must have a good "view" of the sky, and, of course, must be plugged in and you must set location control on.

Auto locate uses the scanner.. not the GPS.. And sees what frequencies and systems it can find and compares that to the national database. If you are in a rural area, many times it takes forever. In addition, it's a one time thing. Once it finds out where you are, it sets that location and stops running. So if you are driving, you may well drive out of that location and have to do it all over again.

Using the GPS, the location and thus which systems are being scanned is constantly updated.

That has nothing to do with Butel software. Butel, and all other software, only loads systems and settings when you write the system to the radio. And even then, you obviously have to have the computer connected to the radio in mass storage mode.

Last edited:

donc13

Premium Subscriber
WHY are you using Butel with anSDS200????
Either use Sentinel - or get a copy of ProScan...

BTW, Auto locate does NOT use GPS - and frankly most here will tell you it's worthless.
There is nothing wrong with Butel's software. Other software may have more or less features, but Butel works fine for me and many others.

CHHTX

Premium Subscriber
something I recently discovered is that just because the GPS indicator comes on the screen, it doesn't mean that it has a lock or is correctly determining your location. Unfortunately, to truly see that you have a lock, you'll want to get the GPS coordinates to show on your screen. The GPS indicator only shows that it is communicating and it senses the GPS. I discovered this when I attached the uniden GPS to my sds200 deep inside of my house and saw the GPS indicator show on the screen.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
something I recently discovered is that just because the GPS indicator comes on the screen, it doesn't mean that it has a lock or is correctly determining your location. Unfortunately, to truly see that you have a lock, you'll want to get the GPS coordinates to show on your screen. The GPS indicator only shows that it is communicating and it senses the GPS. I discovered this when I attached the uniden GPS to my sds200 deep inside of my house and saw the GPS indicator show on the screen.

Yes, that is the expected behavior when using GPS, check this link:

SDS200 & GPS

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I think the issue is the GPS device and scanner talking to each other.

It could be an issue with the settings (baud rate), a bad connector, a cable issue (like I just experienced) and so on. Best thing to try is this:

Disconnect the GPS puck. Then use the keypad to enter a zipcode like 90210 and when asked, say yes to turn on full database. Hopefully the California "stuff" loads. Next, reconnect the GPS puck. Give it a few moments to latch on to the satellites and get location data. If the California stuff goes away and systems more appropriate to your area load, that confirms your scanner and the GPS are working correctly.

If you continue to get California stuff, then the GPS is not communicating with the scanner. A while back I had to contend with a pinched cable which was corrected by replacement.

If California goes away and local stuff comes on, then you have a programming issue somewhere. I'd first verify location settings of departments and sites.

ORION_NE

Premium Subscriber
Thank you all for you suggestions and help. The baud rate is 9600 and it has a clear view to the sky. It was working fine for 1.5 years until recently after reprogramming. I will try ofd8001 suggestion and see what happens.

ORION_NE

Premium Subscriber
There is nothing wrong with Butel's software. Other software may have more or less features, but Butel works fine for me and many others.
I have used Butel for multiple types of scanners and never had a problem with it until using it to program my SDS200s.