grecom vs radio shack, vs whistler

Akuriko

Friday Harbor,Washington , in the San Juan Islands
Hello all i have a question, i know grecom was bought up by whistler and grecom made radio shack scanners so my question is what was better quality the old grecom/ radio shack or the current whistler line?, for this question I am going to ask would you buy a current whistler model?or a new old stock grecom or radio shacck model on ebay if you had to choose between those options on quality.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I am going to ask would you buy a current whistler model?or a new old stock grecom or radio shacck model on ebay if you had to choose between those options on quality.

The old stock doesn't have the same FW or features as the newer TRX series scanners, they do not do DMR, NXDN or Phase 2, so I'd much rather have a new TRX scanner.

ScannerSK

The TRX scanners have an annoying hiss after each transmission which needs fixed. Plus, they still suffer severely from RF overload near strong radio towers. The one I had would not decode speech clearly on our phase 2 simulcast so I sold it.

If you only require a scanner for conventional and P25 phase 1 transmissions, older GRE models work well. For a newer scanner, I would select a Uniden/Bearcat scanner as they simply outperform on decoding and near strong RF interference.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hello all i have a question, i know grecom was bought up by whistler and grecom made radio shack scanners so my question is what was better quality the old grecom/ radio shack or the current whistler line?, for this question I am going to ask would you buy a current whistler model?or a new old stock grecom or radio shacck model on ebay if you had to choose between those options on quality.
I don’t recall any threads showing that the original GRE manufactured scanners (PSR500, PSR60, and the corresponding Radio Shack labeled Pro106 andPro197) have had more, or less issues than the Whistler manufactured versions WS1040 and WS1065, as well as the Radio Shack Pro651 & Pro652.
The old stock doesn't have the same FW or features as the newer TRX series scanners, they do not do DMR, NXDN or Phase 2, so I'd much rather have a new TRX scanner.
As noted, there are slight differences between the older GRE produced models versus the newer units built by Whistler due to some of the components in the early models are no longer available. The slight differences in components required modifications to the firmware so that they performed the same as the ancestor models.

But no matter whether you go with the legacy scanners from GRE, or the “newer” Whistler produced units, you are still looking at an older scanner design model that may not perform as well as newer models such as those from Uniden, or the Whistler “database” units as the WS108X and WS109X, as well as the TRX-1 and -2.

Also, on the original GRE production scanners, as their internal components get older, there’s the possibility that as their scanners age even more, their performance may suffer if critical items drift out of optimum alignment.

StoliRaz

🇺🇲
I believe many of the Whistler models were just rebadged GRE models I.E. PSR-500= RS PRO-106= WS1040 so I would assume the build quality would be basically the same across models, with maybe very minor and cosmetic changes.

I own a PSR-500 and RS PRO-197. Both decode P25 phase 1 nicely.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I would buy the original GRE models. There are so many things to consider when it comes to specific model to suggest
- Base or hand-held
- P25 capable (meaning conventional)
- Trunking
- What you plan to monitor

If you are OK with old-school P25 capable and don't plan to monitor modern trunked systems: for base models it's the PSR-600 or PRO-197; the hand-held equivalent is PSR-500 (there are significant differences in the PRO-106 I don't like). If you are going to monitor modern trunked systems, the only choice when it comes to scanner radios (other choices available for when using a PC) is base Uniden SDS-200 and hand-held SDS-100. If all you want is analog (such as for air, rail, VHF) then I'd go with PSR-310 hand-held or PSR-410 base.