Guelph fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I wasn't close enough to confirm this properly but hopefully closer ears can take a listen, was hearing Guelph fire dispatch but started hearing the digital encrypted chirp on one of the other channels in my radio and it ended up being one of the Guelph fire tac channels, tower site said Woodlawn but I was only at 1-2 bars of signal strength and I am not in the area often to listen properly.

I did some searching and found this document and it appears new encrypted radios are on order.
http://guelph.ca/wp-content/uploads/cafes_agenda_021312.pdf

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Considering that is under the 'Jan - Dec 2011' section... it's hard to say what's happening there. It could be they are purchasing encryption capable radios just for interop with police, or to encrypt full time, or to have a secure channel like Windsor Fire does. Not sure why they would think they need to go encrypted... but then again why did the entire city of Hamilton encrypt?

hawkeye32

Premium Subscriber
Well from living in Cambridge for awhile, I can say that, guelph fire does have a encrypted, (same as what windsor fire has) As for dispatch 4 months ago it was in the clear. Hope this helps.

SCPD

QRT
Well from living in Cambridge for awhile, I can say that, guelph fire does have a encrypted, (same as what windsor fire has) As for dispatch 4 months ago it was in the clear. Hope this helps.

All Guelph city fire talkgroups are now encrypted.

SCPD

QRT
Ok, must of changed within the past 3-5 months then, :-(

I think it happened this week, all of a sudden started getting the chirp on my scanner and eventually nailed it down to Guelph and when they did radio checks it was encrypted on all channels including OFM link.

I don't get why fire departments are encrypting except perhaps the channel they run medical calls on for privacy reasons. This was an upgrade they spent almost a million dollars on so it's not like encryption was tossed in for free with a new system.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
When Guelph first switched to P25, they cited privacy concerns with medical information. They thought that P25 would "secure" their comm's. Fools.

Looks like Bell has now upsold them yet again.

ATCTech

Just watching Guelph FD on Unitrinker right now and all radios are showing "enc".

Strike another one guys.

SCPD

QRT
When Guelph first switched to P25, they cited privacy concerns with medical information. They thought that P25 would "secure" their comm's. Fools.

The privacy concerns with medical calls could be valid and I think Windsor goes to those calls on an encrpyted talk group but everything else is P25 clear, then again I guess one could say any fire, accident, rescue could effectively be or turn into a medical call but I don't get the secrecy all of a sudden. I am probably missing something but scanner listeners have listened for many years without catastrophe and with the streaming who cares if someone non-local is listening from afar, even less of an issue.

SCPD

QRT

Someone needs to update the database to show all Guelph fire talkgroups as encrypted.

Status
Not open for further replies.