Ham radio gets new life - Southern IN

Status
Not open for further replies.

kd4bas

Monitoring, Hanging Out, & --mn-@v@-mn-- you.
Premium Subscriber
This might prove a worthy task and something worth keeping an eye on. I saw this article and thought the information might be beneficial to share with the group(s)

Ham radio gets new life

Ham radio gets new life - 14 News, The Tri-State's News and Weather Leader

VANDERBURGH CO, IN (WFIE) - Ham radio operators already provide an invaluable communications link during disasters, like Hurricane Katrina and even right here at home after tornados ripped through the Tri State in 2005.

A new system though will help ham radio operators reach out even further the next time disaster strikes.

"We always say that ham radio talks where others fail," said ham radio operator Bob Pointer.

Pointer, better known to fellow amateur radio ops as N9XAW, gets excited to talk about his hobby over the airwaves.

"Just the other day I talked to a gentleman over in Tazmania, Australia just like he was across town," said Pointer.

It's partly that ability that is helping to breathe new life into ham radio, what some might consider an antiquated form of communication, left to people tinkering with electronics.

"It's a fail-proof type of system to have. A guy can pop the hood up on his car, hook it up to the battery and be operational," said Vanderburgh County EMA Director Sherman Greer. "They used it in Katrina. It was the only communications they had in Katrina."

After attending an emergency management conference discussing earthquake preparedness, Greer began thinking about using ham radio operators as a backup mode of communication should everything else fail.

"I don't think people really realize if we do have a 7.7 earthquake within this area here, how devastating that's going to be," said Greer. "Communications would probably be very sparse."

The Indiana Department of Homeland Security has given Greer a $350,000 grant to setup a series of ham radio stations and repeaters throughout 12 different counties in southwestern Indiana.

If the system, set to be installed soon, meets expectations, the state plans to roll it out in every region.

"We've got to start communicating as quickly as possible. We've got to give them a quick damage assessment of what's going on and what our needs are," said Greer.

For Pointer and other ham radio ops, sending and receiving communications during disasters is a major component to their hobby.

There's a certain amount of pride in knowing you're helping your community. You may even save lives," said Pointer.

For ham radio operators out there, the Vanderburgh County EMA and the Tri State Amateur Radio Society wants to encourage use of their club frequency to make sure the system is always operational and ready for emergency radio traffic.

kb9sxk

This is my agency. This project grew out the 5 county system we built out of a 2000 grant.

I am so proud of our hams!

kd4bas

Premium Subscriber
How about supporting us by checking into the local ARES/RACES nets? Never heard your call before on any of the Evansville/Henderson/Owensboro repeaters.

I hwas active when the 145.49 Henderson machine was up. I only have a 2M/440 Alinco HT right now that sports a totally dead battery. I have not even tried to put up an outside antenna since I moved several years ago, but with what I have been scrounging (read saving - please don't tell my wife & kids :lol:) I am going to put up an antenna next spring when I have the time.

I'm hoping that someone will put up a link close to us either in Posey county or here in Union Co, KY so HTs are able to talk into the repeaters better.

dwh367

I hwas active when the 145.49 Henderson machine was up. I only have a 2M/440 Alinco HT right now that sports a totally dead battery. I have not even tried to put up an outside antenna since I moved several years ago, but with what I have been scrounging (read saving - please don't tell my wife & kids :lol:) I am going to put up an antenna next spring when I have the time.

I'm hoping that someone will put up a link close to us either in Posey county or here in Union Co, KY so HTs are able to talk into the repeaters better.

You'll be glad to know then that the 145.490 machine was just put back on the air last week :p It's only running 40 watts right now but will eventually be putting out 200 watts.

The 146.970 and the 444.725 (all 3 are on the ABC 25 tower) also seem to have good coverage. I think the 146.790 has a receiver site in Posey County and I have heard people get into the 146.835 with an HT from your area, although they are a little noisy at times depending on band conditions.

The 145.150 is also back on the air although only running off the exciter until they get a feedline problem fixed. They are also planning on trying to get the main receive site, in Posey County, back on the air as well.

I'll be looking forward to hearing you on the air once you get things in working order again.

kd4bas

Premium Subscriber
You'll be glad to know then that the 145.490 machine was just put back on the air last week :p It's only running 40 watts right now but will eventually be putting out 200 watts.

SWEET
Will it be as wide coverage as it was before or is that known yet ? Looks like I may have to start scrounging parts & pennies quicker now to get back on.

powerlineman

How is this going to work? Are they going to use existing systems and link them or put up a completely new system? If so I guess it will be 440 since there are little if any 2m freqs available. Does Sherman have full authority to spend the 350K as he sees fit or is there some sort of committee and bidding process?
I'm not trying to be negative but, there are plenty of repeaters around. I'm a conservative tax payer and don't think this is where tax dollars should go. As far as ham radio maybe it will help preserve the hobby. OK start taking shots at me!

dwh367

Will it be as wide coverage as it was before or is that known yet ? Looks like I may have to start scrounging parts & pennies quicker now to get back on.

I don't know all of the details just yet so I sent you an email with who to get in contact with. They were one of the key people in resurrecting it from the dead.

kb9sxk

The grant is being managed by the Homeland Security District Planning Council and Vanderburgh County. There is a project committee made up of hams.

W9NES

Again would like to know when this is comming to Metro Indianapolis/Marion County as We are hams serving the Metro Indianapolis/Marion County area under ARES.We no longer have RACES in Metro Indianapolis/Marion County.I am a member of ARES.Does IDHS have a date as to when this will be introduced to Central Indiana(Metro Indianapolis/Marion County?

Last edited:

APTN

County EMA

It's good to see another County EMA taking advantage of amateur radio. There are some counties here in TN which do the same thing.

kb9sxk

Again would like to know when this is comming to Metro Indianapolis/Marion County as We are hams serving the Metro Indianapolis/Marion County area under ARES.We no longer have RACES in Metro Indianapolis/Marion County.I am a member of ARES.Does IDHS have a date as to when this will be introduced to Central Indiana(Metro Indianapolis/Marion County?

Tim, as far as I know, we are the pilot. When we are complete, the state will look at other districts.

usswood

Don't forget bout us up here in Terre Haute...we have a great network of HAMS up here and have several systems that could link up with urs in S. Indiana....WVARA.org is always up for new challenges!!!!

Great news for the HAM Community!!!!

KC9LDJ--- on the 5.23 and 6.685(151.4) in Terre Haute...also catch me on the w9win system

pddispatcher

Maybe with some of the grant money if Indianapolis gets any maybe they can get rid of that dag gon recording every 2 minutes of some lady

"This is the W9IRA Repeater Indianapolis Indiana"
Gosh it gets old hearing it ID every 2 minutes seems like

W9NES is on that .700 repeater so much they have to let it cool down :)

I will say that I do miss the old courtesy tone before they changed controllers on the 146.700

I live in Breckinridge County, KY and can use to be able to hear the 5.49 and talk into it but didn't even know it was down.

Status
Not open for further replies.